glossy edges

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

glossy edges

Post by lacilaci »

This is a problem I reported long ago but now that we have a disney shader we can finaly compare to how things should look at object edges..

look at the weird darkening of glossy:
glossy.jpg
and now disney:
disney.jpg
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Re: glossy edges

Post by FarbigeWelt »

lacilaci wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:51 am This is a problem I reported long ago but now that we have a disney shader we can finaly compare to how things should look at object edges..

glossy.jpg
and now disney:
disney.jpg
Honestly, I do not see what you mean. Please copy relevant parts from both versions into one image and mark them clearly. Thanks.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:50 am
lacilaci wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:51 am This is a problem I reported long ago but now that we have a disney shader we can finaly compare to how things should look at object edges..

glossy.jpg
and now disney:
disney.jpg
Honestly, I do not see what you mean. Please copy relevant parts from both versions into one image and mark them clearly. Thanks.
Really? You don't see any difference? :shock:

here, glossy shader in the red rectangle, outside of it is disney:
wat.jpg
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Yes there is a thin dark line at the edge.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

lacilaci wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:39 am

glossy.jpg
and now disney:
disney.jpg

wat.jpg
Thank you much for the eye opener in the early morning! :D

Do not be shocked, spotting the difference at a smartphone display zooming and moving around is not easy if you do not know what you are looking for. At home at 27“ I may have seen what you mean just in a glimpse...

Anyhow, this dark edges are agreedly odd. Looks like enhanced shadow but that makes not any sense, does it?
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:50 am
lacilaci wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:39 am

wat.jpg
Thank you much for the eye opener in the early morning! :D

Do not be shocked, spotting the difference at a smartphone display zooming and moving around is not easy if you do not know what you are looking for. At home at 27“ I may have seen what you mean just in a glimpse...

Anyhow, this dark edges are agreedly odd. Looks like enhanced shadow but that makes not any sense, does it?
Ah yes, on a phone it might be a little problem to spot...

Anyways, it's definitely a problem with the glossy shader... Corona had this type of issue for a long time too afaik
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

So use Disney instead of Glossy2 material, why not :?:
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:05 am So use Disney instead of Glossy2 material, why not :?:
Yes, definitely. I would use it instead both glossy and matte. Disney is usable for most of materials in cycles too, but they have a bit more advanced implementation which will be probably even more upgraded in near future.(I think some thin translucency will be added)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:11 am but they have a bit more advanced implementation which will be probably even more upgraded in near future.(I think some thin translucency will be added)
Yes, they have the SIGGRAPH 2015 additions (i.e. the additional transmission related parameters) while we have the original SIGGRAPH 2012 implementation. But it is not something particularly hard to add in a near future.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Can the Disney model be used for rough glass?