Light tracing and pool

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Light tracing and pool

Post by lacilaci »

kintuX wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:11 am CPU PT
Halt Time: 90 s
Same geo, same IORs, colours HEX, default Sun & Sky...

LuxCore (w/ light tracing and all caches ON)

pooltest_caustics-LC.jpg

Corona ("Fast caustics solver" & "Generate caustics from environment")

pooltest_caustics-crn.jpg

About "Too Dark & Too Bright"... From real world I'd say LuxCores reflected caustics are more correct, it's only too much loos in refractive volume under glass (my old enemy). I suspect there's a mistake somewhere about how gamma is handled. Look at the corners how light bounced in Lux version gets darker :? Of course I can be wrong. ;)
Also, Corona is much simpler, faster to set & reach the goal... while user also gets a caustic pass to fiddle with in post (if needed).
did you use volume in corona case (i don't remember how it works I guess just absorption setting in material?)?

theres a note in corona freshdesk about how caustics in volumes are calculated the old way(not using this caustic solver) Which might mean there is a good brightness loss in underwater setting in corona as well.. This is where I think the "frankenstein" method of using hybrid glass and caustics on top of that could artificially compensate the problem in luxcore .
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:11 am Also, Corona is much simpler, faster to set & reach the goal... while user also gets a caustic pass to fiddle with in post (if needed).
You can already export separate Eye/Light passes in LuxCore in .exr format and tonemap/compose them has you want however it is probably something not exposed in BlendLuxCore :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Are they exposed as AOVs?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:45 pm Are they exposed as AOVs?
Not exactly, they are film channels, not film outputs (aka AOVs). If you run LuxCoreUI, select the menu Windows=>Film channels window, there is:

1) CHANNEL_RADIANCE_PER_PIXEL_NORMALIZED (Eye pass for Hybrid path)
2) CHANNEL_RADIANCE_PER_SCREEN_NORMALIZED (Light pass for Hybrid path)

NOTE: there is pair of channels for each light group.

However, as far as I remember, Python has access only to Film outputs, not Film channels. Indeed, I can add them as film outputs too, in V2.3.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties