Disable self shadow?

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Egert_Kanep

Disable self shadow?

Post by Egert_Kanep »

Seems that this feature is not currently implemented, but I was wondering if there could be a workaround.

I have a simple scene where I need to extract shadows for only one object, be it either using shadowcatcher or using aov shadowmasks. My problem that I am facing is that another object is casting it's shadow on sphere's shadow and there is no way to separate these two, at least I haven't figured it out yet.

Does anyone have ideas?
Attachments
shadow_test.blend
(640.04 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
sketched direct shadow and indirect shadow
sketched direct shadow and indirect shadow
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Disable self shadow?

Post by Dade »

Egert_Kanep wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:01 pm My problem that I am facing is that another object is casting it's shadow on sphere's shadow
Make the "other" object invisible to the light source :?: It may work, I'm not totally sure to understand the type of result you are looking for.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

Ideal case would be to have wall cast shadow on sphere, but not onto itself. So that wall and ground would only recieve shadow from that sphere. If that makes sense.

Note: wall and ground are one mesh
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Egert_Kanep wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:01 pm Seems that this feature is not currently implemented, but I was wondering if there could be a workaround.

I have a simple scene where I need to extract shadows for only one object, be it either using shadowcatcher or using aov shadowmasks. My problem that I am facing is that another object is casting it's shadow on sphere's shadow and there is no way to separate these two, at least I haven't figured it out yet.

Does anyone have ideas?
For such "magic" there's a Front/Back Opacity node. ;)
e.g.
F-B_opacity~disableselSshadow.jpg
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

I am aware of that node. Doesn't do what I was talking about. You see now, that sphere is missing shadow from the wall
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Is there a feature like in another rendering engine/software that you are referring to? I think I know what you mena, but I'm trying to think if this is even possible to define in a general case... :?:
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Wow, even if there was a rayswitch, I have no idea how would you put this together.

Maybe another feature I proposed would help, "exclusive/inclusive" lighting. making a list of objects that are affected/unaffected by a light...?

Both rayswitching and exclusive lighting is already on github, but I don't think it's doable before 2.3 since this probably cuts deep in the shading core. Who knows, Dade is the master here.
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

Maybe I got a solution, a bit wonky, but I'll give it a try
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Egert_Kanep wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:39 pm I am aware of that node. Doesn't do what I was talking about. You see now, that sphere is missing shadow from the wall
Right... Would help, if you took a moment and be up to the point - had shown what you already know, provide clear example and possibly an engine which does, how it's done what you're asking for.

Simple, most practical solution is to split objects or just render twice & comp it :roll:
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

Hey, thanks for taking time to help, now I have an example of the result I am trying to achieve done with clarisse.

So sphere is receiving all shadows and casts shadows. Wall and ground (one mesh) is casting shadows, but not receiving self shadows. Then we get a rendering where sphere has wall shadows on it and casts shadows onto ground, which is what I am trying to figure put how to do with Lux.

It is a bit if a niche case, but for doing vfx, it is very handy
Attachments
Capture.PNG