Convert World Sky Texture and Sun to Cycles

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
MaxNadolny

Re: Convert World Sky Texture and Sun to Cycles

Post by MaxNadolny »

Settings are the same. Color is Filmic base contrast. Lux produces different world and sun lights.
MaxNadolny

Post by MaxNadolny »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:21 pm
MaxNadolny wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:42 pm The second image is Cycles. Personally I prefer Lux render result.
Look like tonemapping isn't the same :roll:
Settings are the same. Color is Filmic base contrast. Lux produces different world and sun lights.
MaxNadolny

Post by MaxNadolny »

CodeHD wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:40 pm I like the Lux result a bit better

pro-lux:
- the stacks of plates have stronger shadows in between (not necessarily more correct, but looks nicer), and it looks a bit overexposed on the top, which I would expect from a photo in this situation. The cycles plates are very "milky", like when you reduce highlights in a raw converter.
- I like the color of the bottles better
- The fume hood look more like metal. Cycles is too flat. (concerns the other metals parts, too, though too a lesser degree)
- I like the floor a bit better. Unnaturally glossy in cycles for wood (?)

pro-cycles:
- Some of the pots stored under the table are more glossy, which I like for the same reason as the fume hood in lux.

-pro-neither:
- The reflection seen on the pots is very different. I wonder why that is? You definitley made changes between the images, I can see some of the cupboard-door-knobs moving :D
- In both cases, maybe some texturing is missing. You know, giving everything those slight imperfections like scratches or a speck of dirt. I like, for example, that you didn't stack the plates perfectly ;)
Thank you very much for your opinion.

In cycles mostly all the materials are made using Principled BSDF. Plates look like milky because of SSS. To me it looks more ceramic like.
I made a little changes in cycles version, like fixed door knobs position and made floor more reflective.
I don't know why reflections are so different. I was trying to get exact the same result in Cycles as Lux render. But it's different. I found that sun and world light different with the same settings in both render engines. May be the reflection problems because of that.
It's a good idea to add imperfections to my materials. May be in future version.