A Ghost Circle in the Beam of Area Lights

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

A Ghost Circle in the Beam of Area Lights

Post by FarbigeWelt »

CPU BiDir, Metropolis
Two partly overlapping area lights emit rays thru a lens. To make the beam visible there is a very flat cuboid placed in the middle of the lens. The distance of the area lights to the cuboid is the same. The cuboid is material is 0.5 Grey with 0.5 opacity.
The circle appears slightly visible at around 250 Samples and gets more visible with more samples.
Currently I have not the slightest idea where this circle comes from.
The scene is arranged as symmetric.
Whereas the circle is apparently not :!: :?: :!:
A Ghost Circle
A Ghost Circle
Two Area lLights, a Lense and a Ghost Cricle.zip
Two Area Lights, a Lense and a Ghost Cricle
(350.31 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Does anybody see a reason for the existence of the Ghost Circle and its asymmetric appearance :?:

EDIT: The Ghost Circle moves with the orthographic camera. This means in the middle of the view there is something responsible for this unintended shadow.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: A Ghost Circle in the Beam of Area Lights

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:46 pm EDIT: The Ghost Circle moves with the orthographic camera.
Maybe some floating point precision problem.
Fox

Re: A Ghost Circle in the Beam of Area Lights

Post by Fox »

It may be too rough roughness, if i recall correctly.
Let's say you have camera in pool underwater, and you want to see out of rough glass water surface, the sky, by pointing camera up, then you only see small clear circle in center (everything else is black). It's a big maybe, i most likely am wrong.