Error opening image file

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Taka
Donor
Donor

Error opening image file

Post by Taka »

Hi,
I've been working on a large scene(Archviz, a condo building) and I get this error quite often. I have many append/linked objects in the scene and it seems they are causing this problem. I read somewhere that clearing temp folder solves this but it works sometimes but not always. I have noticed this happens even with a simple scene when I append materials. I use an add-on "Asset Management" for appending/linking since this add-on speeds up my work-flow greatly.
Can anyone tell me why this error happens and how to avoid it? I really want to use LuxCore in my workflow but a few things are slowing me down and this is one of them.
One thing I notice though, when I use render management program (RenderPilot), this error hasn't happened yet so far. I don't know if it's relative...
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Error opening image file

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Thanks for your report.
Could you copy/paste the full error message?
Can you upload a small scene that shows the problem, including the problematic image file?

By the way, there's a known problem with packed DDS files: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendLuxCore/issues/70
Taka
Donor
Donor

Post by Taka »

B.Y.O.B.,

Thanks for your quick reply.
Here is a sample of the error
Error message:
Error opening image file : C:\Users\Taka\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpw8ahv6yv.jpg (error = Empty file "C:\Users\Taka\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpw8ahv6yv.jpg")

What's the limit file size I can share here? I'm trying to upload one but it says the file is too large. The file size is just over 20mb
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Does it also happen if you unpack the image before exporting?

You can find out what the original image name was with the following steps:
- Open Blender console (Window -> Toggle System Console)
- you will see the log messages of the export in a new window. Right click the title bar of this window and try to find a menu entry that lets you copy all the text (something like select all, then copy, or so - I hope that's possible)
- paste the log messages into a text editor
- use full text search to look for the name of the temporary image in the log messages. The line should look like:

Code: Select all

Unpacking image "Wooden-Background-213.jpg" to temp file "/tmp/tmpjmwys1vx.jpg"
Of course you can also look through the log messages manually, if the scene is not too big.

About uploading the image/scene: you could use an external filehoster.
Taka
Donor
Donor

Post by Taka »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 pm Does it also happen if you unpack the image before exporting?
I will try it next time but which unpack option should I use in this case?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I would try "Use file in original location", but it doesn't really matter.
Taka
Donor
Donor

Post by Taka »

I tried unpacking (tried a few different options), some linked objects lose their materials(rendered in pink). Sample error log goes like this:

Node "Imagemap" in tree "Leather_Brown": Could not find image "AI43_002_leather_color_01.jpg" at path "//textures/AI43_002_leather_color_01.jpg" (Not an existing file: "E:\Dropbox \Taka\Blender 3D\assets\Furniture_LuxCore\Chair\blends\textures/AI43_002_leather_color_01.jpg")
Attachments
Capture.JPG
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

But is this the same image as before?
It would help a lot to have a small scene showing the problem.
Taka
Donor
Donor

Post by Taka »

I completely understand. The problem is this error happens randomly so the same file has the problem one day, then next day it doesn't. I know it would help you troubleshoot if I can constantly recreate the issue and give the scene.

I'm wondering if this happens to other people though.

I'll share if I come across a file that happens constantly, or at least often. Thanks for trying to help me with this.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Taka wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:10 pm I'm wondering if this happens to other people though.
Among the reported issues, I only remember the DDS problem and someone with russian locale and russian characters in filenames. A case like yours was not reported yet I think.

The randomness sounds weird. Maybe some other addon/program interfering? Does the disk have enough space?