Crazy Crystal Glass Affect, is it possible?

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Vanessa Dutra

Crazy Crystal Glass Affect, is it possible?

Post by Vanessa Dutra »

Is it possible to get a result like this? The materials in rl are optical and optical lead crystals. I've been playing around with blender for hours trying to get something similar but I can't get the dispersion of colors to have an effect like these crystals. Thanks in advance.

https://jackstorms.com/wp-content/uploa ... ceye-2.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Crazy Crystal Glass Affect, is it possible?

Post by Dade »

It should but you have to model exactly how the object was built (and how the light sources where placed).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Vanessa Dutra

Post by Vanessa Dutra »

I built the model the same size but I don't know where the lights would be. But also I have no clue what lux material would work best for this type of glass, any thoughts?
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

But still, even after you model it in detail, it will be quite a tricky task to mimic material, since there's no simple way of reproducing dichroic glass.
First, glass material doesn't have thin film feature and after is getting correct shadow colors which also depend on thin film (complementary to transmissive color, which is based on an angle of incoming light).
zeealpal

Post by zeealpal »

kintuX wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:33 pm But still, even after you model it in detail, it will be quite a tricky task to mimic material, since there's no simple way of reproducing dichroic glass.
First, glass material doesn't have thin film feature and after is getting correct shadow colors which also depend on thin film (complementary to transmissive color, which is based on an angle of incoming light).
Just double checked in BlendLuxCore, glass material does have a thin-film option.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

zeealpal wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:38 pm Just double checked in BlendLuxCore, glass material does have a thin-film option.
Thanks for heads up.
When I get some time I will do another study to see what can be done.
And in the meantime I'm looking forward to what others come up with 8-)
Vanessa Dutra

Post by Vanessa Dutra »

It does have a thin film option, I just wonder if I use that for the glass inside AND out or just the inside hmmm...Thanks everyone for the help!
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Here's a video of Jon Kuhn, a glass artist explaining & showing how some pieces are made.
Also, use diffraction to get even more astounding looks (note: takes more computing resources)
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Wow, that is a piece of work. great resource.
Vanessa Dutra

Post by Vanessa Dutra »

kintuX wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 am Here's a video of Jon Kuhn, a glass artist explaining & showing how some pieces are made.
Also, use diffraction to get even more astounding looks (note: takes more computing resources)
How do I use Defraction and where can I find it in blender? Watching the link now! Thanks!