Soft Pad Chair

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Soft Pad Chair

Post by lacilaci »

Soft pad chair by Ray & Charles Eeames, produced by herman miller.
It's a conversion from my behance project originally made usign cycles here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/7279949 ... E-3D-model

Originally using cycles cause:
1. no luxcore in 2.8 yet: I'm not going back from collections and linking and nesting collections etc, compared to 2.79 it's a heaven and hell difference in scene organization
2. 2.8 has this eevee realtime pbr viewport, I hope that at some point luxcore will be able to utilize it aswell (having realtime shader preview is priceless)
3. cycles allows for a lod of "fakes" to optimize complex scene (rayswitches and AO tricks - previews done in incredible speed and nothing is more important than a fast preview)
- I did few quicktests for interior I'm preparing and there is nothing that can help me speed up to get some grasp what's going on in the interior, while cycles's stupid tricks with ao and switching rays for diffuse component in materials speed up rendering so much with so little visual difference it's incredible...
4. triplanar mapping, no way I'm unwrapping archviz models unless it's client work or it absolutely needs to be (I can do it fast but it adds up)
5. I hate BCD with passion, but ok for this one I have "good" workaround.

With that explanation out of the way, I do like luxcore result a bit more(it's a quick conversion not 1:1 and I know I could make this even better)
But opening 2.79 is just not worth it anymore... I'm like a little kid that has a new toy and doesn't want the old one anymore :D..

Anyways I also have a question, with cycles the leather shader is super complex, except a lot of triplanar mapped textures I also used several noise nodes combined with another noise with distortion option. Distortion for nosie maps helped to create nice variation mask that I could use to mix colors. A single noise pattern is too.. shitty but distorting it can make really nice map.

So is there a way to distort some noise nodes in luxcore?
I couldn't find it but I wasn't looking too hard.

Oh and if anyone want's that model it's free to use for commercial and non-commercial purposes(download from that behance link)

Lastly I do hope that nobody takes my criticism and complaining too hard, I do love you guys, what you do is some incredible magic to me. I guess the closer you get to a really great renderer the more it is for me frustrating cause it's like almost there, but not yet :D
Attachments
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Soft Pad Chair

Post by lacilaci »

one with a bit better tonemapping (filmic-medium/high contrast + luxcore autoexposure)
Attachments
08.jpg
Mango3

Post by Mango3 »

Nice one lacilaci,
great product viz render!
The leather looks very convincing and lighting is good too.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Mango3 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:40 pm Nice one lacilaci,
great product viz render!
The leather looks very convincing and lighting is good too.
Thanks, the leather is Also extremely simple material compared to what i had to do with cycles to get something i like.