FIRST STEPS

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

FIRST STEPS

Post by lacilaci »

Ok, first attempt at a visualization project using luxcore...

You can download some 3d models from this on my behance project page here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/71941399/LUX
only .obj and no textures though.
Attachments
luxD01.jpg
luxD02.jpg
luxD03.jpg
luxD04.jpg
luxD05.jpg
luxD06.jpg
luxD07.jpg
luxN01.jpg
luxN02.jpg
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: FIRST STEPS

Post by lacilaci »

Also, since this is finished I want to reflect on few things...

I took extra time to try and make luxcore work for me as a production tool that I could use on daily basis.
I understand things like, alpha software and features that are under development and so on...
It's all good, and if all the features in the poll are coming sooner or later it is just perfect and I believe everything is on right path regarding luxcorerender...

I will however still complain about denoiser

I would not even try doing this if there was no standalone nvidia denoiser which I used in all renders, I don't care if it's nvidia but it helped me with preview renders and also allowed me rendering 4K finals(which I then downsampled to 1440p). I understand that under ideal conditions (you have infinite vram and a lot of time) BCD can provide great results.

But the biggest strenght of good denoiser is that it can provide me with very high quality results, very fast, with little to no impact on resources and rendertime. Why? Because I know what I'm doing in a complex scene.

Current state of luxcore is: I can do asset materials really quick(cause I don't need denoiser), and I can do final rendering really quick(cause I can use denoiser or nvidia denoiser standalone)...
I cannot do testrenders and previews quick enough and slows me down incredibly which puts me to stress.

So compared to cycles: in cycles I can do asset materials quick(cause denoiser is helping) I can do previews in complex scenes quick(cause denoiser can work well with low samples and still show texture and object details)
I cannot render finals quickly because cycles becomes insanely slow with difficult reflections and GI.

So my conclusion is that, I like results from luxcore more than cycles, but I know I'm faster and more reliable and relaxed with cycles. And trust me, I was watching what newbie users complain about and so on.. That denoiser is holding luxcore down. It is good, when it works... final frame denoising. But final frame is something I can put on renderfarm or just wait since I'm sure what I'm getting... I need / and most people need, blazing fast and clean previews. People from corona forums were having great denoiser for quite awhile but when they implemented nvidia denoiser it was a small revolution, becouse it makes the artist work faster. Everyone is willing to wait for final render, but no one want's to wait for previews
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

The next logical step for the our denoiser is to have an OpenCL implementation (and if it works as usual, it should be a lot faster). However it will not affect the amount of ram used (but I assume you don't need to do the previews in 4K).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm The next logical step for the our denoiser is to have an OpenCL implementation (and if it works as usual, it should be a lot faster). However it will not affect the amount of ram used (but I assume you don't need to do the previews in 4K).
Yes I do, high res previews need to be done to show if textures and geometry detail holds up with the resolution(you don't need the same textures for 2-3K render that you would for higher res, also you don't need the same subdivision levels and geometry details for lower resolutions as you do for higher). Yes you can crop render, but we're back at 100's crop renderings before I come back to sense and realize I have work to do.

Also faster denoiser doesn't mean it will work better. Please do understand that being slow is just one of the issues of this denoiser, it doesn't help at all with low sample count.
Yes I do not expect final frame results from super noisy results, but I do want to see texture patterns and overal lighting. Current solution is just doing a lot of blurring for low sample renders. It really doesn't give me as a user anything more than the noise I'm already getting, no one I guarantee uses luxcore denoiser for previews, unless you're masochist. Why? Because it needs clear contrasts in to be able to define object and feature boundaries and then it can work well.

I believe you know what you're doing, and I don't want you to do what I as a single user ask for.
So I hope more users will start using luxcore in more complex scenes and keep telling you how important it is to have fast and good denoiser for previews. Until then, I will keep pointing to current solutions weakneses and showing you endless comparisons.

Also please understand, I'm not only complaining, I wish luxcore the best. I really like the direction you took with this renderer and the denoiser is really the only thing that I have fundamental issues with, everything else so far was either solved, or will be solved, or is great already.

Next time I will do some nice interior, maybe some smaller commercial work. If you say this denoiser is good enough and don't want to change I respect it and keep using standalone denoiser until I can or until more users will force you to change it or maybe everyone starts using multiple rtx 2080ti's with nvlink and we don't need any denoiser anymore :D
sarmath

Post by sarmath »

I was following this project from the start....you have done lots of great work here. In my opinion few shots deserves luxcore gallery. Now looking for your interior job done ;) thx
WIndows 11 Pro Ryzen 7 5700x RTX 3090 32 GB RAM
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Congrats Man there is nice render from this project inside the gallery :D please keep pushing with new one i'm sure you will extract more from this engine the next project. thanks you for your nice job ;)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:23 pm Congrats Man there is nice render from this project inside the gallery :D please keep pushing with new one i'm sure you will extract more from this engine the next project. thanks you for your nice job ;)
Thank you ;)
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Very nice pictures, I like them, especially the table with the chairs, the top view of the pool and the 🍊 juice. Well done. Please, keep on performing.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:16 pm Very nice pictures, I like them, especially the table with the chairs, the top view of the pool and the 🍊 juice. Well done. Please, keep on performing.
Thank you