Luxcore Benchmark Scene v2.1 revisited and altered

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
birdnamnam

Luxcore Benchmark Scene v2.1 revisited and altered

Post by birdnamnam »

Hi all. New here.

I'm a Blender user for the last 4-5 years, but involved in 3d stuff for many more. I've used many apps in the past from traditional CAD to polygon modelers, like Archicad, Rhino, Alias, 3ds max and Blender. I've also tried out several rendering engines, like Vray, Corona, Maxwell, Keyshot and Cycles of course.

I started playing around with Luxcore a couple of days ago and I thought I’d give a try to this engine in order to see its pros and cons. I downloaded the Luxcore 2.1 Benchmark scene from the Luxcore Site. I really liked the mood and the feeling of it, the calmness I guess, and I started altering materials, removing and adding objects etc. I downloaded some free models from 3dsky (bottle of wine and plaster ornaments) and added 4 simple wine glasses in order to see how glass renders with this engine. Not the perfect example, I know, but I can’t remember glasses looking so real in Cycles, which is the rendering engine I use nowadays.

Of course, I still have many things to learn. I just started. The image isn’t perfect, and I couldn’t find a way to remove noise from some specific parts (even with OIDN enabled), but I think I’ll continue to experiment with Luxcore, because I think it has a great potential, especially in archviz scenes like this one.

I slightly edited the image in Photoshop (I removed some fireflies and noisy spots here and there), mostly adding contrast and lowering some burned highlights. That’s all.

The chair used in this scene is an old model of mine. I made it in Rhino, several years ago. It’s a modern Italian style living room/dining chair. I hope you like the conception.

All credits to the Luxcore development team. I wish we could see this render engine integrated in Blender by default some day. I don’t know if this is even possible, but it’s a wish. Cycles is much more complex in its node system and powerful in parametric stuff and creativity, but Luxcore has a good setup for interiors especially and caustics of course, something we’ve been missing in Cycles and it’s a must in archviz and interior scenes.

I wish the best to everyone involved in the development of this engine. Keep it up. I thing we'll see great stuff in the future if this engine is further optimized.

PS I downloaded the LuxcoreRender v2.5 beta from the the Forums here.
Luximage

Re: Luxcore Benchmark Scene v2.1 revisited and altered

Post by Luximage »

Nice work.
birdnamnam

Post by birdnamnam »

Luximage wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:20 pmNice work.
Thanks. I'm trying some different settings. I want to reduce noise in occluded areas. I raised the ILC Brute Force radius to 20 ad checked Caustic Light Cash. The noise is more uniform so far. I'm rendering the scene as we talk. I'll post the new image when ready.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Great job. I like your style.
birdnamnam

Post by birdnamnam »

TAO wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:25 pm Great job. I like your style.
Thanks @TAO. I found out what the problem was with the noise, I guess. I disabled the Light Tracing option and the image came out much cleaner. I guess caustics weren't essential for this scene after all. And the glasses and bottle of wine still looked fine. I also used the new Super Image Denoiser I purchased today, with quite good results. Here's the new render:
Test render 5 Denoised PS.jpg
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

birdnamnam wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:57 pm
TAO wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:25 pm Great job. I like your style.
Thanks @TAO. I found out what the problem was with the noise, I guess. I disabled the Light Tracing option and the image came out much cleaner. I guess caustics weren't essential for this scene after all. And the glasses and bottle of wine still looked fine. I also used the new Super Image Denoiser I purchased today, with quite good results. Here's the new render:

Test render 5 Denoised PS.jpg
Very nice.
Also, you should remember using archglass for windows and wherever light should pass, Thay may help too.
birdnamnam

Post by birdnamnam »

TAO wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:27 pm Very nice.
Also, you should remember using archglass for windows and wherever light should pass, Thay may help too.
Thanks for the advice. This particular scene didn't have any windows, because the wouldn't be visible I, guess. But I'll keep that in mind. I really love glass in luxcore. The glass volume option is fantastic!