Dark side of the moon

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
oldladyfear

Dark side of the moon

Post by oldladyfear »

Long time lux user & lurker, decided that the new release was a good time to start getting more active in the community. So here's my attempt to recreate a classic image!

I'm amazed at how much faster the engine is - only took 20 hours to render to 5% convergence using an underclocked fx-8350 on bidir default settings, using a multiple scattering volume! One issue i've noticed though is that at high dispersion values, the RGB interpolation used to estimate dispersion seems a little off - there's far less orange and yellow compared to what a similar scene would get under the old spectral dispersion model, and it looks more like distinct r/g/b bands. I might play around with tweaking the values on my fork to see if i can get it looking a bit more accurate. Overall though i'm extremely happy with the luxcore reboot, and i'm looking forward to putting together more scenes to show off!
darkside.png
SATtva
Supporting Users

Re: Dark side of the moon

Post by SATtva »

oldladyfear wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:09 am I'm amazed at how much faster the engine is - only took 20 hours to render to 5% convergence using an underclocked fx-8350 on bidir default settings, using a multiple scattering volume!
You could've cut the rendering time by the factor of 2 or 3 (at least) by using single scattering -- without any impact to the actual image. Multiple scattering is just an overkill for this setup (it's only needed for "thick" volumetrics like liquids or smoke).
oldladyfear

Re: Dark side of the moon

Post by oldladyfear »

i know, it was overkill for the scene - the scene started out as a worst-case scenario benchmark. A re-render using single scattering only took around 4.5 hours to converge.