Mr. Lightlove, or how I loved to like the BiDir

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Mr. Lightlove, or how I loved to like the BiDir

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Believe it or not, one of the user friendliest improvement since LuxCoreBlender 2.0 release is Bidirectional Rendering in live view port.
Never was it so easy to set realistic light effects in scence than now!

All you need is an outdated 4 core CPU with hyper threading and 8 GB, Blender 2.79b and the greatful work of LuxCoreRender's developers team: Version 2.1 beta 2.

What, you are not convinced yet?

Do you have none or disappointing experiences with bidirectional raytracers in the past or heard rumors how slow they are?
Don't mind!

Look at the amazing paths and patterns of light.
Life BiDir view port
Life BiDir view port
You can move objects or rotate scene with mouse or curosor key, and enjoy the changes drawn with low latency.
Aren' t these three dimensional, color shaded strokes of interactive brushes and paints?

The scene is easy to be setup, just use an area light shape of your choice in combination of a clear lens and air defined as homogenous volume with scattering.
Final rendering after 28 s
Final rendering after 28 s
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Scene: Mr. Lightlove, or how I loved to like the BiDir

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Simplicity, Light Brushes, CPU BiDir, Metropolis, 500 Samples, 1h30m. 1.5xHD
Simplicity, Light Brushes, CPU BiDir, Metropolis, 500 Samples, 1h30m. 1.5xHD
Please note, render time can be set much shorter for getting a similar result.

If you like you can freely use the scene as source for your ideas.
CPU BiDir Simplicity, Light Brushes, Scene.zip
CPU BiDir Simplicity, Light Brushes, Scene
(282.23 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Medium: Mr. Lightlove, or how I loved to like the BiDir

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Medium, Light Brushes, CPU BiDir, Metropolis, 250 Samples, 1h16m, 1.5xHD
Medium, Light Brushes, CPU BiDir, Metropolis, 250 Samples, 1h16m, 1.5xHD
Persons who liked Simplicity, may take one step further and chose Medium.
CPU BiDir Medium, Light Brushes, Scene.zip
CPU BiDir Medium, Light Brushes, Scene
(332.34 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
There are some improvements in the new file, like defined world and camera volume. The central sphere uses dispersion and the point lamps are linked duplicates. Area spot lights in the image above are instances of their shape related group object. One can easy change position, size or rotation of each instance. Group object's lens can be moved in edit mode to adjust focus and with that the beam of all its instances. (To have easier control of instances, objects should be placed around position 0,0,0 on their own layer). The area object emmits light of irregular spectrum now. Their matte material is dark but bright enough to reflect visual light. Metropolis and Reinhard tonemapping is the first choice here to get consistent overall quality of image. (Be careful, medium scene may need lots of hours work for further use, especially for first time users of Blender and LuxCoreRender, or just because its too much fun.)
MacBook Air with M1
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Mr. Lightlove, or how I loved to like the BiDir

Post by Sharlybg »

Like you i'm a bidir lover. i am a fan of it precision in shadows and light realism. for me for the futur development after Indirect light cache we can give a boost to BIDIR with something like Guided tech. I mean this.

Bidirectional guided path engine :
BIDIR_guided_corona_compare.jpg

Or more juicy tech : https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _Rendering
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 am Like you i'm a bidir lover. i am a fan of it precision in shadows and light realism. for me for the futur development after Indirect light cache we can give a boost to BIDIR with something like Guided tech. I mean this.

Bidirectional guided path engine :

BIDIR_guided_corona_compare.jpg

Or more juicy tech : https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _Rendering
As much as I appreciate the possibility of speedup... Waiting for one hour for a noisy render... nope... (that scene on corona PT+UHD cache is done in a matter of minutes on modern HW)

@FarbigeWelt: Keep up the good work. A bit too abstract for me. But I like the colors lol.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:36 pm @FarbigeWelt: Keep up the good work. A bit too abstract for me. But I like the colors lol.
Thank you much for the feedback.

Next level will take a while, for sorting out ideas first and to CGIalize what’s left.

(Still cleaning noise patterns now and then.)
MacBook Air with M1
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

As much as I appreciate the possibility of speedup... Waiting for one hour for a noisy render... nope... (that scene on corona PT+UHD cache is done in a matter of minutes on modern HW)
Of course we are all for the fastest way to achieve our stuff. reason why all artists also like Unreal and Eevee.But light light strategy mode engine algo have they key strenght a weaknesses . ATM Bidir seam to unreasonnably slow compared to simple path. one of the reason is that Bidir compute more light info compared to standar Path tracer. another reason is that Path tracer are now GPU accelerated while Bidir is almost the same since quite a while (with some improvement but not in that range). another thing is the way artist me inclueded tend to compare Bidir to path :

we do it like this :

--- take a given interior project

--- render it on path ocl with 2x 1080ti

--- then switch to bidir and render it on a i7 8700k

it is clear it going to had to the contrast in term of speed. Anyway each one have to fight with all the weapon and features they have while dealing with they weaknesses. But this is what it is.

My opinion is that with proper bidir engine is going to be more and more appreciated. But for people who like and need it precision ;)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Preview of The use of Heterogeneous Volumes

Post by FarbigeWelt »

BiDir, Metropolis
Rainbow Planet
Rainbow Planet
MacBook Air with M1
wasd

Post by wasd »

Wow... There's some nice dogs!
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

wasd wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:40 pm Wow... There's some nice dogs!
Thank you for feedback. These ‚dogs‘ are actually very liw poly cows with procedural pattern (local and global added then remapped value from 0 to 2 and x to y, where x and y have been adjusted until pattern color looked okay and local and global have different x,y,z factors.

The stars are 4 faces pyramids, emitting light with different but different colors but same approach as for cows pattern.

The sky and the floor are matte materials with opacity and heterogenous, multiscattering volumes.

The rainbow has some litle secrets. It emits colors based on blender texture which was awful to be set up because rotation in 3D map has no influence but rotating or resizing object resp. changing size factor in 3D map node does. It took me hours to get the rainbow colors at the right place.

Actually I wanted to post an updated scene but plugin 2.1 has the tendency to crash/restart my PC after several hours rendering without further notice. I have to learn how console window can be logged in safe file to get some information about the crash because there is not any in system event logger. Never experienced this with 2.1 beta 4, wich used to render 24 hours or more flawlessly.

As soon as I have the CPU, BiDir, Meteropolis and Filter settings investigated to optimize render speed for scattering volume and caustics I will rerender Rainbow World scene update.
MacBook Air with M1