playing with caustics

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

volumetric cubo prism

Post by epilectrolytics »

Bidir, took two days to render.
Denoising and color correction in Photoshop (don't get OptiX deoiser to work with Bidir).
Resolution and frame rate doubled in DaVinci Resolve.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zaa55y8ch6ryjck/volcubo.mov
Last edited by epilectrolytics on Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: playing with caustics

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Great result!
Some absorption color would be cool, to see which caustics are refracted and which are reflected :)
epilectrolytics wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:06 pm (don't get OptiX deoiser to work with Bidir)
It was only trained on unidirectional pathtracer input, so it doesn't work with Bidir.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:21 pmSome absorption color would be cool, to see which caustics are refracted and which are reflected :)
Thanks!
I tried of course but the noise was worse and I didn't want a week long render...
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

It is a real beauty :!:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Thanks again!

So here is a quick and dirty dispersion render:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g1qhtsm3gnf7 ... bodisp.mov
volcubo.jpg
luxvolcaucubo.blend.zip
(772.13 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:21 pm It was only trained on unidirectional pathtracer input, so it doesn't work with Bidir.
The description of the D-noise plug-in suggests that everything, even photos could be denoised.
I didn't try because that plugin always lost the binary path after rebooting so I installed another.
But with better Bidir denoising rendering animated volumetric caustics with dispersion would be possible (on my Ryzen octocore).

EDIT: Better render.
Last edited by epilectrolytics on Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

epilectrolytics wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:13 pm Thanks again!

So here is a quick and dirty dispersion render:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g1qhtsm3gnf7 ... bodisp.mov

volcubo.jpg

luxvolcaucubo.blend.zip
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:21 pm It was only trained on unidirectional pathtracer input, so it doesn't work with Bidir.
The description of the D-noise plug-in suggests that everything, even photos could be denoised.
I didn't try because that plugin always lost the binary path after rebooting so I installed another.
But with better Bidir denoising rendering animated volumetric caustics with dispersion would be possible (on my Ryzen octocore).
It won't recognize the noise and denoising photos works only partially(if you can even say it is working)

here's the thing, it knows how montecarlo pathtracing noise looks and how to remove it.
Noise from photography is very different although the algorithm might confuse some of it as pathtracing noise so it might partially work.
BiDir noise is also different cause afaik it also includes lighttracing and who knows in what other differences.
It is actually not that hard to break the ai denoiser since it doesn't use additional passes, just enable chromatic abberation in camera settings and try to denoise.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:54 pm It is actually not that hard to break the ai denoiser since it doesn't use additional passes, just enable chromatic abberation in camera settings and try to denoise.
Chromatic aberration is done after the denoiser so it can not have any effect (or BlendLuxCore builds the image pipeline in the wrong order :?:)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:42 pm
lacilaci wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:54 pm It is actually not that hard to break the ai denoiser since it doesn't use additional passes, just enable chromatic abberation in camera settings and try to denoise.
Chromatic aberration is done after the denoiser so it can not have any effect (or BlendLuxCore builds the image pipeline in the wrong order :?:)
but we were talking about the optix denoiser.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

softbodyslomo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qky4gg2suayb8 ... yslomo.mov

Bidirmetro as usual, slowed down 50% with simple frame blending.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Very cool, keep them coming.
I'd really like to make a short LuxCore demo reel at some point, but people don't post videos very often (which I can totally understand).
However, your work gives me hope :)