Laci's wip

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Laci's wip

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:44 pm
lacilaci wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:44 am I already figured out that exporting particles might take a loooong time per frame
Yes, sorry, I keep postponing the implementation of faster particle export in BlendLuxCore. I should really get that done.
They are going to rework the particle system though anyway (blender devs)... right?
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

I hope that they'll do soon cause I've a personal project with a lot of particles and it's a PITA everytime I press the render button.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Aaaand a silly image...
IMG_20200102_180504_977.jpg
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

I've seen on Twitter that Pablo Dobarro is improving a lot of vertex painting brushes etc in blender 2.82.
So the question is, can we use vertex painting in luxcore (for example as mask for 2 textures in the color math node etc.?
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Aaaand a silly image...
looks really goodl! :)
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Yes, great composition, simple but effective.
Mushrooms need some SSS though.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

epilectrolytics wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:10 am Yes, great composition, simple but effective.
Mushrooms need some SSS though.
they have some, but i found it hard to control so I left it very weak. I'm still hoping for some fast sss options on upgraded disney shader for most objects that need sss. Hell, in cycles you can even make a really good loking skin with that stuff.

anyways, this was just a random render. I'll post full kitchen on final works "soon"
g01.jpg
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I like.
lacilaci wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:01 pm I've seen on Twitter that Pablo Dobarro is improving a lot of vertex painting brushes etc in blender 2.82.
So the question is, can we use vertex painting in luxcore (for example as mask for 2 textures in the color math node etc.?
Yes, in the add node menu, go to Texture > Vertex Color.
In v2.2, only one vertex color layer is possible, but in v2.3 multiple can be used.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:20 am I like.
lacilaci wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:01 pm I've seen on Twitter that Pablo Dobarro is improving a lot of vertex painting brushes etc in blender 2.82.
Yes, in the add node menu, go to Texture > Vertex Color.
In v2.2, only one vertex color layer is possible, but in v2.3 multiple can be used.
Thanks, I need to play with them at some point...
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

While trying to get into animating with luxcore I found out few things.

1. PhotonGI isn't clamped, this means that you can use low clamping value with combination of strong lightsource to control balance between GI strength and direct lighting strength. This makes it possible to be used as a better variation of cycles's AO simplify, where stronger GI will help clear image a LOT faster and artistically you have a some sort of GI fill light in scene

2. Animating object even with Photongi isn't problem, if the object has material that doesn't use photongi (disabled in material) even a scene where the only light source is mesh with light will have good looking and stable GI with photongi - especially if the lightsource is strong and clamping is low. It will flatten a bit the overal lighting but it's nothing that wouldn't be easy to solve in post.

Does anyone else have some good tips for animation rendering with luxcore? I'm willing to sacrifice quality for speed as long as it's manageable.