Different Works in Progress

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Re: Different Works in Progress

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Laser through Mask
Laser through Mask
There are eight cubes with material Null and two different volume settings.
The cubes overlap each other.
I expect of material Null to have invisible cube faces but obviously there are visible cube faces.
The lower cubes contain small tetrahedrons, actually large enough to be good visible.
The tetrahedrons have material Glass with homogenous volume. The tetrahedrons are the reason for the additional scattering of the lower cubes and also for the green shapes due to light passing through the holes of the mask.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

VRAM 10240 of 8176 MB

Post by FarbigeWelt »

What is unbelievable here?
VRAM 10240 of 8176 MB
VRAM 10240 of 8176 MB
Object: cat-scaled.stl, Cat
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

40 copies (near 20M polys) wont even reach 2GB VRAM
cat.jpg
if by any means something else is eating up your ram then the answer would be instancing
cat2.jpg
But it's probably some bug, seems that it is not present in 2.8 version though..
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:58 am 40 copies (near 20M polys) wont even reach 2GB VRAM
cat.jpg

if by any means something else is eating up your ram then the answer would be instancing
cat2.jpg

But it's probably some bug, seems that it is not present in 2.8 version though..
Add particles hair on a simple large plane. Use particle childrens in render (100). Set particles to 100‘000. Set different colors for root and tip. Reduce hair resolution to 3. Start openCL render. Wonder about export time of more than 4 minutes and have a look at VRAM used as soon as render starts visible but if you get an error message instead of an image reduce particles to 10’000.
MacBook Air with M1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 am
lacilaci wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:58 am 40 copies (near 20M polys) wont even reach 2GB VRAM
cat.jpg

cat2.jpg

Add particles hair on a simple large plane. Use particle childrens in render (100). Set particles to 100‘000. Set different colors for root and tip. Reduce hair resolution to 3. Start openCL render. Wonder about export time of more than 4 minutes and have a look at VRAM used as soon as render starts visible but if you get an error message instead of an image reduce particles to 10’000.
Oh I understand now, so the particles "ate" your vram...
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:05 am
Oh I understand now, so the particles "ate" your vram...
Exactly. The question is, why ate they more than available and render still run.
MacBook Air with M1
alpistinho
Developer
Developer

Post by alpistinho »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:03 am Exactly. The question is, why ate they more than available and render still run.
If the stats are accurate, swap most likely. The performance would probably suffer pretty badly, though
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

alpistinho wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:05 am
FarbigeWelt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:03 am Exactly. The question is, why ate they more than available and render still run.
If the stats are accurate, swap most likely. The performance would probably suffer pretty badly, though
VRAM-RAM-swapping? Never observed with my old graphic cards. In much earlier LuxCoreRender versions not enough VRAM lead to crash. Six to eight weeks ago crash had been fixed, an error message appears instead. I guess the stats are wrong.
MacBook Air with M1
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:13 am
alpistinho wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:05 am
VRAM-RAM-swapping? Never observed with my old graphic cards. In much earlier LuxCoreRender versions not enough VRAM lead to crash. Six to eight weeks ago crash had been fixed, an error message appears instead. I guess the stats are wrong.
AMD Vega 56/64 supports swapping GPU RAM over CPU RAM so you can use more than available GPU physical RAM. I assume newer AMD GPUs have that feature too.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

AMD Vega 56/64 supports swapping GPU RAM over CPU RAM

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Dade wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:00 am
FarbigeWelt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:13 am
AMD Vega 56/64 supports swapping GPU RAM over CPU RAM so you can use more than available GPU physical RAM. I assume newer AMD GPUs have that feature too.
Since both AMD Hawaii (R9 290X, R9 390X) died this summer and the first replacement is an AMD 5700 XT, waiting for its ordered one egg twin, with Navi GPU, swapping was my first thought.

:D :D :D Thank you much for the confirmation that swapping is possible and the stats are okay. This opens some new ways to be discovered. LuxCoreRender is a fantastic software surprising me every week further times. :D :D :D
MacBook Air with M1