High-res LEGO bricks testing

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
Lights_and_Shadows

High-res LEGO bricks testing

Post by Lights_and_Shadows » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:39 pm

Hey there folks, bringing in some tests for some high-resolution LEGO bricks that I'm modeling on the side. Using the LDraw equivalents as a reference for these. I'm hoping to eventually have all of the parts in that database modeled out for future LEGO renders. Including beveling on the edges.

Here's a quick one of the standard 1x1 brick, in red.
3005_red.png
Still trying to find a good roughness value that's accurate to bricks in real life, as well as bevel amounts.
Windows 7 Professional, x64
Intel Core i7 6700K, 4GHz
EVGA GeForce GT740 Superclocked, 4GB GDDR5
32GB RAM DDR4 (approx. 80GB with pagefile active)
RAID 0 configured HDD setup (2x 500GB Seagate Barracudas)

Sprocket

Re: High-res LEGO bricks testing

Post by Sprocket » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:03 am

Thats awesome.They definitely need beveled edges for rendering. Cant wait to see more. :D

FarbigeWelt

LEGO brick photo

Post by FarbigeWelt » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Still trying to find a good roughness value that's accurate to bricks in real life, as well as bevel amounts.
Here is a picutre taken by me, you can use it like you want. There are a few things you should have a closer look at to get a more realistic shape.
In your case I would add your own logo on top of the brick, like LaS or LnS.
LEGO8xBlue-1.jpg
LEGO8xBlue, free image
Microsoft Windows 10 Professional, intel i7 4770K, 32 GB, AMD R9 290x 4 GB, AMD R9 390x 8 GB
Instagrammer, please join #luxcorerender for your renderings.

Lights_and_Shadows

Post by Lights_and_Shadows » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:09 pm

FarbigeWelt wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:16 pm
Here is a picutre taken by me, you can use it like you want. There are a few things you should have a closer look at to get a more realistic shape.
In your case I would add your own logo on top of the brick, like LaS or LnS.
LEGO8xBlue-1.jpg
I was considering that, but that would be hard to apply in my case. Mostly because I'm trying to maintain a single mesh for each brick, instead of the LDraw method of having multiple loose pieces per brick. This would allow for realistic beveling on certain components, like on the meeting points of the studs and the body. With that said, that usually requires more vertices than normal for say a box, and then having to grid-fill the tops of the studs. This would make having a decent logo somewhat hard to do, but that doesn't mean I'll try it :) I'll give it a shot, see how it looks.

btw, nice picture. Will come in handy for getting the rest of the details correct, much appreciated :)

Lights_and_Shadows

Post by Lights_and_Shadows » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:48 am

Yeah, I wasn't able to fit in the custom stud logos, not in the way I need them to. Oh well.

With that said, here's another render. This time it's the 1x1 brick, round with fins. A bit more difficult to model properly like this, but it was done. Rather elegant too.
4588_green.png