Light speed interior

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Light speed interior

Post by Sharlybg »

As the title said i open this thread to show some of my work/test with luxcore in interior render. The Purpose here is to render Interior as fast as possible with a good quality.
And i can said i'm pretty satisfied.

Some general workflow tips to render faster interior:

. Tone mapp linear 1 / auto disable

. Sky + sun (make sure they are not linked for easy tune) instead of HDRi (Most of the time HDRi requiert more computational power)

. Use shader Albedo below 0.8

. with sun power >>> 0.0001 / sky 0.0002 you can use a clamp value of ten.

. Sobol + Log power

. Denoiser settings :

Try theses one :

HDT >>>> 0.7

SW >>>>> 8

Scales >>> 4

PR >>>>>> 1

. Switch to Path Ocl and adaptive sampling to 0.95

. Switch to Filmic

Here the results ( not that the dark line in the celling seem to be a numerical precision related issue don't get it Bidir engine)

20 MN render On a 1080 Ti Or R9 390 + 7970 hD combo.

tkr.png
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Light speed interior

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Good tips and nice result.
Sharlybg wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm (not that the dark line in the celling seem to be a numerical precision related issue don't get it Bidir engine)
I guess that the ceiling is an Ngon where the auto-triangulation creates very long and thin triangles. You can probably get rid of this by placing some edges manually (select two vertices and press J).
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

I agree, pretty good looking result.
But, was this 20min. at this resolution?
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Good suggestions and good result.

Just one thing:
- why lower the sun&sky intensity and not playing with clamping and tonemapping?

I agree with BYOB about the blakc artifacts
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:34 pm Good tips and nice result.
Sharlybg wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm (not that the dark line in the celling seem to be a numerical precision related issue don't get it Bidir engine)
I guess that the ceiling is an Ngon where the auto-triangulation creates very long and thin triangles. You can probably get rid of this by placing some edges manually (select two vertices and press J).
Thanks !

About dark line : i use a 2D curve geometry for easy modification. do you think your tips could work on it without the need to convert curve into mesh ?
lacilaci wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:58 pm I agree, pretty good looking result.
In some test before this project i was able to render interior in just 5mn (recently i'd convert the corona Alpha 4 bench scene for testing and got stuning speed 5mn on GTX 1080 ti without GI caching tech ).
I'm coocking a special free scene for everyone to test.

lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:11 pm
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:34 pm Good tips and nice result.
Thanks !

About dark line : i use a 2D curve geometry for easy modification. do you think your tips could work on it without the need to convert curve into mesh ?
lacilaci wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:58 pm I agree, pretty good looking result.
In some test before this project i was able to render interior in just 5mn (recently i'd convert the corona Alpha 4 bench scene for testing and got stuning speed 5mn on GTX 1080 ti without GI caching tech ).
I'm coocking a special free scene for everyone to test.
Did it take 20 min. on 1080ti to render at 1278x972 resolution?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

marcatore wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:04 pm Good suggestions and good result.

Just one thing:
- why lower the sun&sky intensity and not playing with clamping and tonemapping?

I agree with BYOB about the blakc artifacts
Luxcore Sun and Sky use real life value and theses value are extreme. So i turn these value down and adapt my tone map to behave a bit like a renderer like Cycles will do. Lower value help you tips Human friendly clamping number. high sunsky/HDRi EVs force you to work with to high number wich are usefull when you work in a totally unbiased way :

Camera tonemapper + sunsky + realistic artificial light settings.

In fact Luxcore is a True light Simulator it is toughly unbiased. And if you start to work in a way that is different from what a real photograph can do then you're creating new rules "artistics rules" where you adapt everything to your taste.

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Yes ( This can be to long for a corona User i guess ;) ) corona give simillar perf on i7 2600k for interior.

lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:24 pm
Yes ( This can be to long for a corona User i guess ;) ) corona give simillar perf on i7 2600k for interior.
I don't know for sure, but 1080ti is a pretty powerful card. And If this was 4K we're talking close to 4 hours of rendering..?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:11 pm About dark line: i use a 2D curve geometry for easy modification. do you think your tips could work on it without the need to convert curve into mesh?
You could try this modifier combination, it worked in a quick test to create better triangles, but I'm not sure if it works in all cases:

2018-08-16_15-33-06.png

However, in my test even with better triangles the shadows did not go away, in such a case you can raise the min. epsilon in the scene settings:

2018-08-16_15-34-21.png