Test scences GPU Path vs CPU BiDir

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
Racleborg

Re: Test scences GPU Path vs CPU BiDir

Post by Racleborg »

FabigeWelt

You might like to take a look at the Blender add-on, Archipack, for your floor. It gives various options for different flooring. You can even add materials and dimensions for grout.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Racleborg wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:45 am FabigeWelt

You might like to take a look at the Blender add-on, Archipack, for your floor. It gives various options for different flooring. You can even add materials and dimensions for grout.
Racleborg, thank you for the hint. I like to try that in a few days.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Influence of Glossy Depth

Post by FarbigeWelt »

During parameter optimization of depth I've noticed glossy has the strongest impact on white noise. This influence is further connected to glossy roughness. Some people may know, light is slow and creepy. What can be easy derived from the comparison of the two pictures below. :lol:
GPU Tile Path T256 AA8 180 s 1.5 MSps Glossy top 5, bottom 4
GPU Tile Path T256 AA8 180 s 1.5 MSps Glossy top 5, bottom 4
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

And the last and different Beer

Post by FarbigeWelt »

"Hinech" means this evening
"Hinech" means this evening
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

GPU Tile Path hanging, needs PC restart

Post by FarbigeWelt »

In some cases, not very reproducable, one GPU hung while the other run.
Maybe due to high temperature or some memory issues. Render could not be stopped I had to kill Blender. Then restart of render hung after compiling for GPU. Restart of PC and reducing AA from 8 to 6 solved the problem. There was not any error message.
Because my cards fans, amd R290 and R390x get very loud under full throttle, I wonder if it might be easy to implement a gpu load feature in percentage. The cards have different ram size 4GB and 8GB. Thanks to the great coding skills of luxcore team they usually work together seamlessly.
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Diamond Bird with Direct Light Caching

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Modelled once an LED lamp with a few light objects. Tried different settings, but the renders never looked like my office with a simlar lamp. Until I finally tried Dade's new feature: Direct Light Caching. Wow, that is a big fabolous improvement. Sure, I could not resist to stress this light strategy a bit. I had to tweak defaults setting to get a reasonable time for the caching. And if you ever require direct light caching save your blend file and toggle a console view first. If there are many lights caching may need several minutes up to maybe hours. In the console view you can follow what luxcore is doing. Escaping is not possible yet, one has to kill blender. After optimizing parameters the Diamond Bird scene still caches for a few minutes but then one sample is more worth than hundreds samples with log power strategy.
Direct Light Caching, Diamond Bird, 2h BiDir, i7 4770K
Direct Light Caching, Diamond Bird, 2h BiDir, i7 4770K
Probably an already well known issue: Material preview displays several materials different, i.e. colored glass with glass volume, glossy translucent. Does material preview switch from Path to BiDir?

EDIT:
Diamond Bird waves in a preview room.
https://youtu.be/MgfGt50Nh9c
Last edited by FarbigeWelt on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Air with M1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:27 pm Does material preview switch from Path to BiDir?
No, it's always path.
You can see the exact settings I use here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... ew.py#L310
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Material Previews V0.1

Post by FarbigeWelt »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:43 pm No, it's always path.
This is a good reason for me to collect different materials in a blender file.
Material Preview V0.1.blend.zip
Material Preview V0.1
(535.56 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Material Preview V0.2, avoids orphan materials

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Today, I recognized lots of material I've made for material preview v0.1 disappeared. Altough the materials are still listed in outliner>orphan data, I did not find a way to recover them. After a few words, better not to be mentioned here :evil: , and a late dinner, I started to think about a new solution :idea: and purged the orphans.
Material preview v0.2 avoids orphan building because every material got its own cube. Also material naming of v0.1 would not have been very coder friendly. :shock: Probably v0.2 may require an even better structure in future but at least there is one now. :geek: I will keep v0.2's structure in v0.3 for sure. 8-)
Material Preview V0.2.blend.zip
Material Preview V0.2.blend
(519.34 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
The next update will collect some experiences I've made with materials over the last few weeks. Thanks to the very smooth blender implementation and much more user friendly fresh addon 2.x :D
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Material Preview V0.2.1

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Material Preview V0.2.1.blend.zip
Material Preview V0.2.1
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 203 times
Just a few fixes of material names and a few additional materials.
I've also included Diamond Bird with skeleton and armature.
MacBook Air with M1