Test scences GPU Path vs CPU BiDir

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

A little Enigma

Post by FarbigeWelt »

What do you think, how does the object of the scene looks like?
CPU BiDir GlossyTL.DS.AD1.0,1.0Abs0.1,0.5 250 Samples
CPU BiDir GlossyTL.DS.AD1.0,1.0Abs0.1,0.5 250 Samples
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
wasd

Re: A little Enigma

Post by wasd »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:27 pm What do you think, how does the object of the scene looks like?
CPU BiDir GlossyTL.DS.AD1.0,1.0Abs0.1,0.5 250 Samples.jpg
This one look like bunch of colourful and cheerful spots and streaks. Like, someone's having a party.
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Material effect room

Post by FarbigeWelt »

The Blender file is a collection of different materials. I'll add some of them in Material Preview's next version togehter with the scene.
Material Effect Room.zip
Material Effect Room
(206.33 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Now, some impressions and comparisons of a few possible material settings. Not all of them make sense. The intention of most pictures is to show their parameter's effect.

Settings: CPU BiDir, 15 Samples, 1500x1000, adaptive=0.0, random sampler,uniform. Time varies from about one minute to several minutes (i74770K).
Matte
Matte
Metal
Metal
Glossy Specular
Glossy Specular
Glossy Rough
Glossy Rough
Matte Translucent
Matte Translucent
Glossy Translucent 1
Glossy Translucent 1
Glossy Translucent 2
Glossy Translucent 2
Glossy Translucent 3
Glossy Translucent 3
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Test scences GPU Path vs CPU BiDir

Post by Sharlybg »

This is a nice one. It make me remenber about femto photography video at TEDX on youtube.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Re: Test scences GPU Path vs CPU BiDir

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:39 pm This is a nice one. It make me remenber about femto photography video at TEDX on youtube.
Thank you very much.
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Move around dispersive Glasses

Post by FarbigeWelt »

The short animation here:
https://youtu.be/7tHnC6GD91w

is based on the scene of this picture:
Glasses CPU BiDir 800 Samples 7 h 2400x2000
Glasses CPU BiDir 800 Samples 7 h 2400x2000
As you can imagine I had to set samples per frame to a low value of 20 samples to get the animation rendered over night.
I guess, this kind of visualisation is seldom used for professional work. For more serious work diffraction is missing. Diffraction effects should help with soap bubbles, oil films, metal surfaces, butterfly wings, demirrored glass surfaces used for monitors or glasses.

EDIT 1:
Same scene, GUP path, different materials: mixes between dispersive and rough glasses. As one can see, homogenous material is not scattering LASER beams, dispersion changes look of glasses but has not any effect on light passing through materials. The scene looks clear and sterile.

Big advantage is rendering speed. 200 samples in 20 s per frame. This speed is amazing (R290x 4GB, R390X 8GB).

There might be room to reduce total time per frame a few seconds if enough memory is available and if i.e. object count keeps constant during animation. Means to use the same approach as for view port renders.

https://youtu.be/XDBVyQRIuPY
In this animation only camera moves and changes its focal length.
Glasses Path OpenCL 200 Samples 20 s 1000x1000.jpg
Glasses Path OpenCL 200 Samples 20 s 1000x1000.jpg
EDIT 2:
Exactly the same scene used for the picture above, different viewing angle, CPU BiDir (i7 4770K, 32 GB).
Some close look at reasonable BiDir depth settings for this scence. As you can see, eye path 3 leads to dark parts on the front surface because objects behind the object are invisible with eye path depth 3. Eye path depth 5 is already enough to get an acceptable image. With depth 10 the scene gets brighter, especially the parts in the back and the scattering homogenous volume.

Looking at required time eye depth 5 together with light path depth 5 are reasonable settings,
respecting purpose of the scene:
Show LASER beams in air, their reflection and dispersion depending on material mix ratio.
BiDir Glasses Depth Time Look
BiDir Glasses Depth Time Look
One little strange thing: texture 3D checkered shows different patch sizes although scale is set to uniform size 10. Room edges have a length of 2.5 m, this is about real world room height for rentals.

EDIT 3:
Finally, mix of dispersive and rough glass deliver expected mixes depending on amount of mix materials.
BiDir Glasses, dispersive mixed with rough
BiDir Glasses, dispersive mixed with rough

What I still don't have an answer for: Why looks dispersive glass reddish?

Is this linked to dispersion value or refraction value or a combination of both?
Or is it related to the point of view (angle)?

The shorter the wave length the slower the light speed in a medium.
Light speed change leads to refraction index.
Refraction index depends on wave length resp. color (and temperature, resp. material density).

EDIT 4:
It is still reddish. But meanwile I know it is the scene setup with the lasers.
Glass Flint and Silica
Glass Flint and Silica
Dispersion in different Colors
Dispersion in different Colors
EDIT 5:
Influence of clamping is quite impressive.
Dispersions Clamped
Dispersions Clamped
Some adjustments for the room light, the tonemapper gain and the laser's power results in this picture.
Dispersion in White Clamp 2000 500 Samples
Dispersion in White Clamp 2000 500 Samples
EDIT 6:
Animated RGB, clamp 1000, 50 samples, laser gwe: 2,100,100 area 0.02
https://youtu.be/wDYMa8ONVQs
Last edited by FarbigeWelt on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Grass and Bushes

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Natural looking Grass
Natural looking Grass
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Cheated RainBow in an obvious Virtuality

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Cheated RainBow
Cheated RainBow
Simply virtual.
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Possible in Virtuality only

Post by FarbigeWelt »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebzX8_JvW2A
In reality you cannot pass below a rainbow 😎
MacBook Air with M1
kintuX

Re: Possible in Virtuality only

Post by kintuX »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:54 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebzX8_JvW2A
In reality you cannot pass below a rainbow 😎
Yes, you can...
... it's just that you can't see it, while others on special spots & sacred places can see you passing through. You can also immerse yourself into.
I know of such spot, near and under the waterfall, within waterfall's mist, under right lighting conditions at the right time - observer/spectator is then at the start and at the end of the rainbow ;)
Had experienced it for real.
Made me feel at perfect moment, in perfect circle, as if in presence of the divine - magnificent & humble at the same time.

Forgive them, for they don't know what they do.