Jewelry metal and dispersion Render Engine Comparisons | Luxcore vs Cycles vs Octane vs Prorender

Links and discussions related to tutorials, tips and tricks.
djtutorials

Jewelry metal and dispersion Render Engine Comparisons | Luxcore vs Cycles vs Octane vs Prorender

Post by djtutorials »

Render engine comparison video with Luxcore, Prorender, Cycles and Octane where the attempt was made to create similar looks and dispersion effects.
https://youtu.be/jSvs7vJKn_s

Check it ou!
AndreasResch

Re: Jewelry metal and dispersion Render Engine Comparisons | Luxcore vs Cycles vs Octane vs Prorender

Post by AndreasResch »

Very nice. Not sure if the light rotations are completely in sync. Overall I like the Cycles version quite a bit - it's not as busy as Luxcore and Octane. Octane wins over Luxcore for me, because I like the rendering of the stones a bit better and of course the render time is much lower as well. I wish Octane had a plugin version of the renderer by now.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Jewelry metal and dispersion Render Engine Comparisons | Luxcore vs Cycles vs Octane vs Prorender

Post by Sharlybg »

I'm curious about this huge difference in rendertimes between Luxcore and Cycles. Too crazy to be believable 47mn vs 8mn.
like you miss something.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

I understand that there's a difference between Luxcore and Cycles as Luxcore is a more complex render engine and more calculation is going into it. It's a bit much though, especially when looking at Octane which also is a more complex render engine. But as usual in Luxcore it's probably about tweaking a lot of settings until you get the fastest option. If you're not renderings jewelry on a daily basis or know Luxcore very well, there's trial and error involved. And that takes the most time.
djtutorials

Post by djtutorials »

A couple responses:

1 - The HDRI light rotations are not 1:1 across engines and even when placed around the same axis it is still interpreted differently.
2 - Luxcore's noise was an issue in rendering and the denoise ruined the sharp detail. There are probably better ways to optimize for that engine specifically but the attempt was to showcase each engine at a peak quality. Luxcore simply needed a lot more samples to clean up the image so that at %100 zoom it didn't look overly grainy.
3 - Octane DOES have a free plug in you can download and use for Blender. It is available on the OTOY Octane website.

Thanks for the responses! Best to keep in mind that any of these engines can be "Optimal" depending on what you need and there is almost always ways to optimize one over the other, whether you are changing lighting thresholds or altering materials or bounces etc. This test was more so to see the quality and possibility of each engine and attempt to get them all to roughly equal levels of quality and brilliance.
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Thanks for the info about the Octane plugin. When I checked last you needed to download a special Blender package. But if they changed it to an addon version, that would be great.
JulianoLisboa

Post by JulianoLisboa »

The comparison is really cool, you could share the scene here to try to improve the luxcore time without losing quality.
Last edited by JulianoLisboa on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

JulianoLisboa wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:09 pm The comparison is really cool, I could share the scene here to try to improve the luxcore time without losing quality.
Somethig i will look inton for sure. People still have in mind that luxcore is most of the time slower than cycles or whatever you throw at it.
So this kind of showcase tend to even blur the Line. There is also this idea of Luxcore being complexe to setup compared to cycles for me it is the contrary but i've to show it in some demystifying tutorial.

hard to be evrywhere at the same time :oops:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
JulianoLisboa

Post by JulianoLisboa »

Sharlybg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:38 pm
JulianoLisboa wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:09 pm The comparison is really cool, I could share the scene here to try to improve the luxcore time without losing quality.
Somethig i will look inton for sure. People still have in mind that luxcore is most of the time slower than cycles or whatever you throw at it.
So this kind of showcase tend to even blur the Line. There is also this idea of Luxcore being complexe to setup compared to cycles for me it is the contrary but i've to show it in some demystifying tutorial.

hard to be evrywhere at the same time :oops:
Sharlybg, your next tutorial could be for product shots, luxcore for having caustics is a great render for that. We need tips to improve performance.
djtutorials

Post by djtutorials »

AndreasResch wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:02 pm Thanks for the info about the Octane plugin. When I checked last you needed to download a special Blender package. But if they changed it to an addon version, that would be great.
There is a special Blender version but it's because they are tracking system link to the servers to check for licensing. It's free, but not that free. Works well just the same only has a couple extra steps.