When is principled shader coming out?

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
Racleborg

Re: When is principled shader coming out?

Post by Racleborg »

The latter.
Great. Thanks
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

madcat117 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:13 pm 2.3 is way too long lmao put it in now how was this not added like 8 months ago i really need to use lux but all my materials are pbr please hurry up and add
I might not know much about coding these things and programming in general :D. But if I remember correctly, just fixing some shading issues and changing how material behaves was a big deal and took a long time for corona devs. And there is still a lot of requested stuff that's not happening there either. I think it is therefore safe to say it's a big issue to implement such thing. And also design and make it futureproof etc etc...

And these things are mostly done by two guys as far as I'm observing and they do some damn miracles here pretty fast.. well except that one thing that wakes me up in the middle of the night sweating :D

But hey, just so that you're not left hanging. Luxcore materials are pretty much "PBR" you still can use your roughness maps and albedo and normals or bumps. It's just not compact enough to be a single ubermaterial, but it's stil very easy and straightforward to use, nothing that should stop you from using your pbr workflow.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Side note: if someone build a pre-made set of nodes working like a "uber-material", it could be exposed in BlendLuxCore like a single native node (i.e. some kind of macro nodes) and exported, under the hood, as the aforementioned set of pre-made nodes.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:12 pm Side note: if someone build a pre-made set of nodes working like a "uber-material", it could be exposed in BlendLuxCore like a single native node (i.e. some kind of macro nodes) and exported, under the hood, as the aforementioned set of pre-made nodes.
I have actually started work on this a few months ago but never finished it.

But I tend to think that a preset for a PBR material might be the better idea.
By that I mean one of these buttons that set up a bunch of nodes for you:
Attachments
2018-12-10_18-37-27.png
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:12 pm Side note: if someone build a pre-made set of nodes working like a "uber-material", it could be exposed in BlendLuxCore like a single native node (i.e. some kind of macro nodes) and exported, under the hood, as the aforementioned set of pre-made nodes.
To have "metalness" parameter we would need to mix glossy and metal material and then there's coating... So how would that work performance wise? Like rendering glossy+glossy coating+metal material alltogether for a something like a wood material or plastic? Could it really be efficient?

I would rather avoid workarounds and then make a proper and unique while compatible ubermaterial with thr princibled stuff. And once it's all working drop all the diffuse and glossy etc nodes.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

And once it's all working drop all the diffuse and glossy etc nodes.

I thought the Principle Shader was an 'addition' to, not an 'instead' of!
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci is a radical reformer :D
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Racleborg wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:42 pm
And once it's all working drop all the diffuse and glossy etc nodes.

I thought the Principle Shader was an 'addition' to, not an 'instead' of!
I hope it begins like that... then the other nodes become obsolete and be dropped :D
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:46 pm lacilaci is a radical reformer :D
lol, yes. I just do hope nobody minds my 'radical' ideas :D
patrickawalz
Supporting Users

Post by patrickawalz »

the Disney material doesn't account for a lot of effects that can be present in a scene, for instance multiple scattering or irridescents. admittedly we don't account for the latter yet ourselves, but I'm hoping one of the open source papers released last year will be implemented as part of the new materials