Optix Denoiser Addon

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Optix Denoiser Addon

Post by lacilaci »

Split from viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17&start=70#p7592 - BYOB

Sweet. Fast and clean previews, most important thing in the world :)
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: CGI tech news box

Post by lacilaci »

Ok, so I got it, and it's the denoiser from Declan Russel just made into addon. I don't know what to think about that...
Also, the results from deepdenoiser look far better still.

It does simplify my workflow with luxcore a lot though since it's now just a single button in uv/image editor to get nice denoising so that's great!

And, similar to bcd can be run during rendertime without stopping renderer. So I don't have to guess when I have enough samples.
Attachments
luxcore_optix.jpg
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:06 am Ok, so I got it, and it's the denoiser from Declan Russel just made into addon.
[...]
It does simplify my workflow with luxcore a lot though since it's now just a single button in uv/image editor to get nice denoising so that's great!
This is more or less what I had in mind when I mentioned the console application could be integrated in the addon.
Nice of them to make it compatible with any renderengine.
Can it also denoise the viewport?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:37 am
lacilaci wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:06 am Ok, so I got it, and it's the denoiser from Declan Russel just made into addon.
[...]
This is more or less what I had in mind when I mentioned the console application could be integrated in the addon.
Nice of them to make it compatible with any renderengine.
Can it also denoise the viewport?
It is compatible with any render engine by default. There is nothing specific to make it work with only a specific render engine since it only knows to look for noise made by pathtracing on any image, that's it. Addon exports .png, runs console app on the image and returns result back to image editor. For now it's that simple...

However, it only works this way unless you want to use additional passes. For optix to get better color and detail preservation you need albedo and normal pass, both need to be also exported and are used by additional console parameters. This can potentionaly break compatibility with different engines unless a situation where there are missing passes is handled by addon. Because if console app requests an output and won't get it it will just not start.
So I hope that the dev will make the addon handle the situation when different renderer handle different passes (at least by forcing using only beauty pass) or it will break the compatibility.

There is a "long-term" plan according the to-do list for realtime viewport support. I have no idea how you'd handle inputs and outputs between viewport and console app.

Anyways, anything is better than bcd so there's that, but properly trained denoiser would probably do even better job judging from what I've seen from deepblender's denoiser - I don't know what's happening there but it puts even optix to shame(quality wise, not sure about performance).
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

lacilaci wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:07 am Ok, so I got it, and it's the denoiser from Declan Russel just made into addon.
A kind soul would do like this: troopy28/OptiX-Denoiser-for-Blender (@ GitHub)
then continue or better, start in denoiser specific thread... (i get you're passionate ;) but please, just move on - let us stay on topic)
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

kintuX wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:43 pm
lacilaci wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:07 am Ok, so I got it, and it's the denoiser from Declan Russel just made into addon.
then continue in denoiser specific thread... (i get your passion ;) so please, just move on)
what is that, yet another addon? And yes, someone please move the last few posts to a separate thread since it is OT.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

kintuX wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:43 pm
then continue or better, start in denoiser specific thread... (i get you're passionate ;) but please, just move on - let us stay on topic)
How did you even find this? Feels more advanced than the other optix addon but just like it only uses input and output, no extra passes(well luxcore doesn't do albedo anyways) and no hdr training data.

Still, works on luxcore renders (with the exception of bi-dir though)
Mitsuma

Re: Optix Denoiser Addon

Post by Mitsuma »

https://twitter.com/RemiGraphics/status ... 9612213254
https://remingtongraphics.net/tools/d-noise/

The Blender Addon is out and its just amazing.
I personally havent used LuxRender in years, but with this I want to get right back in LuxRender.
This changes like everything, its just stupid how well it works.