Cycles vs Corona

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Cycles vs Corona

Post by Sharlybg »

I want to make my own test of corona as soon as possible. But before that i find this nice and clever comparison. The guy use very good product (1950X / 1080ti). High resolution 3.5k .

https://blenderartists.org/t/cycles-performance/1121187
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Cycles vs Corona

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:57 pm I want to make my own test of corona as soon as possible. But before that i find this nice and clever comparison. The guy use very good product (1950X / 1080ti). High resolution 3.5k .

https://blenderartists.org/t/cycles-performance/1121187
Yes please go ahead...
But that thread starts mainly as another reasoning for GI caching, for some reasons many people still want to argue about the usefulness of this feature. If cycles had GI caching it would instantly throw every other option for archviz(and many more use cases) in blender out of the window. It would probably make huge amount of ppl even switch from many other softwares to blender.

I cannot believe people from open source constantly fail to see and even argue against this feature sometimes, it is beyond me. Now if devs say, it is too complex, and we don't know how to do it then everyone understands but in forums you often see idiot users comparing modern and temporaly stable caching methods to 2004 vray and irradiance mapping(which was still better than not having any gi engine in 2004 hw rendering)

However with luxcore comparing it to cycles and corona is one thing when you try to make it a fair comparison. But in production even cycles blows luxcore out of water once you start using denoiser and simplify ao cheat. Every new user is going to turn luxcore down because of denoiser imho.
dobe

Post by dobe »

Have indigo or Maxwell GI caching?
Win7 - i7 4770k - GTX 1070ti - GTX 1070 - 32RAM
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

dobe wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:19 am Have indigo or Maxwell GI caching?
Yeah, two fantastic fast performers that are also most commonly used and popular renderers in archviz and related areas... right?
Mango3

Post by Mango3 »

Have indigo or Maxwell GI caching?
No they don't have GI caching like Corona or V-Ray have. They are similar to LuxCore in that both use bidirectional pathtracing with a version of Metropolis sampling.
dobe

Post by dobe »

I do not work with either. but hear again and again that indigo does a good job.
lux and indigo are both spectral renderers. Is that right?
Mango3

Post by Mango3 »

lux and indigo are both spectral renderers. Is that right?
Old Lux Classic was a spectral renderer, new LuxCore is RGB. Indigo and Maxwell are spectral renderer.
The render quality both are capable of is top and Indigo seems to have a small following in the archviz scene when one looks at their Gallery and Forum.
But (back to the threads topic) for especially interior scenes the speed gain of having cached 2nd GI is just too important and so it is no wonder that Corona and V-Ray are the most commonly used engines for archviz (both non-spectral btw)
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Redshift also does simillar choice and now their are really far from others ( the speed is so great that the engine is mainly use for animation). Also with out of core feature Redshift kill any Gi cached CPU renderer :
172bd2b4e4517441357bb43ce567ab7d.jpg
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
dobe

Post by dobe »

Yeah, redshift is a beast. Looks Like vray with Steroids ;)
pixie

Post by pixie »

I love Indigo from what I've used, sadly there's no lux exporter for Cinema 4D so I can't use it. :(