Cycles-Octane-Luxcore

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Cycles-Octane-Luxcore

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:38 am
Or you can wait for official release of Octane 4 that should be free to use for 2 gpus.
Of course today it's not free, but today Luxcore is in alpha stage with many features missing and important features like denoiser and dlcs are slow and unreliable.
So what do you suggest to do ?
Well, I'm not suggesting to do anything. All I'm saying is that for an end user or freelancer octane and cycles and luxcore are comparable no matter what advantages they have over each other. For me the first to get good sec. gi caching is the winner :D
Actually I wonder why octane didn't develop any gi caching yet, they have money and developers to do it.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Actually I wonder why octane didn't develop any gi caching yet, they have money and developers to do it.
Octane didn't take the right strategy the one followed by Redshit and now they rely on AI to save them.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Side note: CUDA is faster than OpenCL on NVIDIA hardware (even when using exactly the some code). This is somewhat a political choose, for obvious commercial reason. Just to say that if you spend the same money of 2xGTX on 2xAMD GPUs, I have the feeling LuxCore will come out faster than Cycles and Octane.
The reason why the firm 1080ti only outperform my own R9 390 by only 20% on luxcore. So Nvidia just optimise they Driver to run Luxmark only.

R9 390 score == 2500
1080ti score == 5200

This is more than double performance.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA