odd lighting artifact

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
sascha dean ellis

odd lighting artifact

Post by sascha dean ellis »

So am currently working on an interior scene and I have the camera pointed towards a living room area, but there is an awful black spot with some surrounded light distortion and I'm not quite sure what could be causing this.

My steps so far:

-I've checked in cycles to see if this same issue occurs, and it does not, so its limited to luxcore.
-I've disabled and tried different methods of lighting the scene like area lights, spot lights and HDRI. All of the are affected however HDRI seems to be the worst offender.
-I've checked all of my geometry and made sure that things are intersecting in such a way as to avoid any light leakage from seams/cracks etc
-I've checked my materials as well to be sure that this isn't related to that but I've unwrapped it several different ways and still cant seem to rid myself of the distortion.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this issue and possibly know how to fix it?

:idea: :?:
Attachments
F89f6iW.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: odd lighting artifact

Post by Dade »

sascha dean ellis wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:31 am Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this issue and possibly know how to fix it?
It is like to be a problem related to the mesh: something like overlapping triangles, or tiny very long triangles, etc.

Can you post the floor mesh ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
sascha dean ellis

Dade wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:43 am
sascha dean ellis wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:31 am Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this issue and possibly know how to fix it?
It is like to be a problem related to the mesh: something like overlapping triangles, or tiny very long triangles, etc.

Can you post the floor mesh ?
Yeah, I'll just go ahead and link to the whole file
Edit: I also had tried a few clean up tools as well. I thought the same thing as you, it definitely looks exactly like that but I wasn't able to see anything like that.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jelysmaemg2d ... blend?dl=0
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

It looks like the wall object has another copy of the floor:

floor.jpg
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
sascha dean ellis

Wow, I'm shocked I never noticed that... I went ahead and deleted the duplicate floor but still seem to be getting the issue. I appreciate the idea though.
sascha dean ellis

Okay, looks like i was able to figure it out. kinda... there was a vert that i noticed all of them were coming from. despite the vert only being attached to the single face it had some kind of connection as if there was a face but no edge connecting it to another vert. either way, i dissolved the vert and the spot went away. i suppose that was pretty basic, but im still learning all of this. Thank for the help!