NVIDIA RTX GPUs and KeyShot Accelerate Rendering for Caustics

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
TAO
Developer
Developer

NVIDIA RTX GPUs and KeyShot Accelerate Rendering for Caustics

Post by TAO »

NVIDIA RTX ray tracing has transformed graphics and rendering. With powerful software applications like Luxion KeyShot, more users can take advantage of RTX technology to speed up graphic workflows — like rendering caustics.

Caustics are formed as light refracts through or reflects off specular surfaces. Examples of caustics include the light focusing through a glass, the shimmering light at the bottom of a swimming pool, and even the beams of light from windows into a dusty environment.
https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidi ... PTmcKunVSd
Odilkhan Yakubov

Re: NVIDIA RTX GPUs and KeyShot Accelerate Rendering for Caustics

Post by Odilkhan Yakubov »

hope it will assigning into LuxCore too
DM3

Post by DM3 »

These are my renders :D

Thanks for sharing. I am a beginner LuxCore user as well, and have translated some of these scenes into Luxcore for testing purposes. Right now, the ability to do caustics in Keyshot is a clear winner in terms of 'ease of use' but I totally think LuxCore could be a contender there eventually.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

DM3 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:42 pm These are my renders :D

Thanks for sharing. I am a beginner LuxCore user as well, and have translated some of these scenes into Luxcore for testing purposes. Right now, the ability to do caustics in Keyshot is a clear winner in terms of 'ease of use' but I totally think LuxCore could be a contender there eventually.
Very nice. amazing job.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Considering the ease of use of keyshot workflow i wonder how they achieve the sds caustic in the clay mirror scene you posted.
Is that a kind of Nvidia tech or something else.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Sharlybg wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:37 am i wonder how they achieve the sds caustic in the clay mirror scene you posted.
Assuming they use photon mapping SDS caustics are already included.
It is LuxCore light tracing (Path or BiDir) that cannot do SDS by design and needs additional caching.

LuxCore revolving cache is not bad IMHO but it needs further improvement like automatic variable lookup radius, some filter for firefly photons and a better integration that doesn't stop the GPU from rendering during cache building.
Also it makes no sense for background light (slow photon convergence), this renders way faster with plain path tracing, so differentiating per light type (sun caustics done by light tracing + SDS but sky caustics done via eye tracer) would be welcome if possible.