LuxeedRay opensource renderer

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: LuxeedRay opensource renderer

Post by Dade »

I still have the feeling people are not seeing clearly the problems.

The #1 problem of this project, at the moment, is the delay or the absence of exposing new features in BlendLuxCore. This breaks the cycle of writing new features, having feedbacks from advanced users using daily builds, fixing stuff, etc. It makes quite pointless to write anything new. It is a problem that has become more and more glaring in the last year.

I believe this problem may be fixed with money but, in general, you should first identify the problem and than talk about the solutions.

The #2 is related to the difficult of writing new materials/textures for the GPUs (i.e. it is literally rocket science). But it is far less worrying and potentially deadly of #1 problem.

Than there are more but smaller and smaller.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

So we don't have a Core Engine Development ressource issue.
but most likely addon development can't keep up with core engine development.
So finally all the development slow down because of that bottleneck.

:shock:

So do you mean that if addon development can match your pace you have no bigger problem
Solving the competitve disavantages we currently have ?
We should worry more for addon development that is something i didn't even mind. :|

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:31 pm So we don't have a Core Engine Development ressource issue.
Everything is relative, we have more Core Engine development resources than BlendLuxCore development resources .. and if you consider how many Core Engine development resources we have ... is not exactly reassuring.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

bestman8 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:59 am
TAO wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:19 am
bestman8 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:16 am i think that just putting luxcore on blendermarket (that is talking about the blender addon dont know if there are sites like that for max or maya) can help a little bit like an other place for donations because people that want to donate now have to look a little bit for it
you mean we do not have LuxCoreRender in the blendermarket at all? I do not think that's true!!!!
there is really no luxcore on blendermarket look https://blendermarket.com/search?q=luxcore
super strange maybe there is a special reason for it unless it should be on market.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

All that said I think this discussion shouldn't stay as words only.We did a great Job from luxrender 1.6 to Luxcore 2.X series.
Almost all the goals set at this period as been reached.

__ Luxcore is Faster than Luxrender & the current cycles

.The number of animation with the engine is a good sign of that
.The old reputation of a good looking render engine with snail speed is dead
.Currently The best alternative opensource renderer for blender

__ Luxcore is integrated in :

.Blender
.3DsMax
.Felixrender
.Vectary as photon

__ Luxcore tutorial can be counted by dozens on multiple channel covering beginner to pro like cases

.Draviastudiohttps://www.youtube.com/c/DRAVIASTUDIO/videos
.DJtutorials https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRzkRj ... 6McwBH4I5g
.BoneStudio https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIPCG6 ... -b8U9D6i1Q
.CGvirus https://www.youtube.com/c/cgvirus/videos
.CGX https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcP7dO ... FmN4onbeBA
.Garagefarm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTYUEFTSTfw&t=201s

___ Luxcore have his own integrated Shader and asset Library (Luxcore online Library )

and More

__ The engine features are among the best (Corona / vray / Indigo ... )

__ Fast Gi caching
__ Fast SD caustic through Light tracing
__ SDS caustic cache
__ Very powerfull Light Groups
__ Automatic Portal with Envcache
__ Adaptive textures Size for memory efficiency
__ Out of Core rendering (linux only )

But why are we arguing then ? In fact we all recognize that the engine have far more potential than that. At some point mainly before Cycles (X) Lot of Blender users asked the BF for a direct integration of Luxcore inside evry blender builds. We also see a kind of loose momentum in growth and development. Most of the Slowing down roadblock has been mentioned :

__Some we can control with current ressources

. lack of communication between involved contributor
. No clear vision about the futur ( Roadmap / strategy ...)
. No advertizing or outside comunication
. Broken bridge between users experience/expectation and Devs perception

__ Some that can be fix depending of the path we decide to follow

. No enough Development Funds or donation
. No enough Human ressources in Core / addon Development
. No enough performance/Feature differential between luxcore and competition to initiate rapid growth
. stagnant old weaknesses ( SSS / Viewport lag / Particles Motion blur / Slow volume rendering /cryptomatte /no bevel shader...)
. not ready for upgraded competition.

As main core Developer you are the Natural leader of the project.We all expect you to initiate a talk with all the highly involved people here. It is something they all secretelly hope you will do and it will be welcome. If we want to break the next step wich is going from the underdog position to the leader in the field we can't continue to work as separate part :

Proverbs 15:22 << Plans fail when there is no consultation, But there is accomplishment through many advisers >>

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

very good information and conclusion, also i found a few companies that are using luxCore as the main renderer like https://www.vectary.com/3d-modeling-new ... ry-photon/, I think the CEO of vectary is one of our supporters "Michal Koor".
Just to mention. They have a Successful business because they have a plan for it and have an account on every single platform in the name of the brand so they can advertise it in one place. if we need to do anything about it that's a good place to start. they are not complete and on the other hand, using the LuxCore engine so they have all of our issues too, but they are advertising better and even more successful in attracting users to pay for their product.
I still think the main problem is money and that's the cause of the lack of publicity and popularity.
Let's just say every developer spends 1 hour a day on the project for one year they can work 365 hours on the project considering no holiday and work every single day.
1 * 30 * 12 = almost 360 (say all month are 30 days)
if you compare that with full-time work or for example 7 hours of work a day it will be around 2520
7 * 30 * 12 = 2520
so you can work 7 years in just 1 single year or 1 year in just one single month and you can assume how much the development can be faster.
All the issues mention here are correct no argument about that but the solution is clear too.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

In fact, to attract more users I start to create render studios and render presets, so users can render objects and environments with just one click.
This includes of HDRi lighting presets, complete studies, and settings.
I will advertizing them very soon and will create a few tutorials.
we need one single place and platform if we want to attract people. One channel on youtube, page on Facebook, tweeter, Instagram, etc.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Appleseed is officially dead. Last night the main developers in private forums announced they will not regularly maintain the code and there will be just important implementation if there is enough time.
Even my own last implementation to approved after about 5 months.
The only advantage Appleseed has is that Appleseed is animation-ready, and supports toon shaders/OSL shaders in every other part LuxCore is much better and superior.
what I'm telling you guys is if we have more options for animations we can be a perfect replacement for Appleseed too and bring Appleseed users to LuxCore.
DionXein

Post by DionXein »

TAO wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:29 am Appleseed is officially dead.
Did they give any info, why they abandoned their project?
I mean they started so well and then just drop it?
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

DionXein wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:34 pm
TAO wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:29 am Appleseed is officially dead.
Did they give any info, why they abandoned their project?
I mean they started so well and then just drop it?
The main developer has no free time to work on the project and if you look closely at project GitHub you will notice there wasn't actually an update in months.
They will not exactly drop it but there will be no activity as usual too, just important bug fixes and such things.