Lux it! RenderFarm (analogue of Sheepit for Luxcore)

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
Dez!

Lux it! RenderFarm (analogue of Sheepit for Luxcore)

Post by Dez! »

Luxcore has grown a lot in recent years.
Epoch-making options appeared - Custom Normals, Cache, OIDN and others. Each has its own list of hotly anticipated options. Many of them have been implemented. Something is about to appear.
Thank God and thank our invaluable developers.

All this makes Luxcore a direct competitor to all rendering engines.

But we don't have enough resources to make animations.
Luxcore animations look great. Fascinating.

A lot of Cycles animations owe Sheepit.
We need a similar project. It will give Luxcore an incredible rise in popularity.
I'm sure everyone thought about it. Maybe it's time to ask this question?
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/
Dez!

Re: Lux it! RenderFarm (analogue of Sheepit for Luxcore)

Post by Dez! »

Such a render farm existed. And there was a server. And I used it. And there were users (from 5 people always online).
I asked the developer how he was doing. And is it possible to revive the project.

I have an i5 laptop, 128 Gb SSD, 16 Gb Ram, 1Tb HHD, Nvidia 1050. I can provide it for 24/7 use as a server
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
zeealpal

Post by zeealpal »

You have no idea how much you are speaking to me right now! I have ~8million points on SheepIt, but almost always render everything I do with LuxCore on my own PC.

One of the hardest areas is the variation of GPU rendering drivers, SheepIt sets its own settings based on the host client. OpenCL/CUDA, GPU device selections and potential compilation crashes might be an issue.

On the plus side, the binary frame format would make distributing a frame easy (no unpacked textures) but parsing it and adjusting the render devices would be interesting. It would also duplicate the sending of textures with each frame.
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

I have often heared that especially Renders with Luxcore differ a bit depending on if they are made with GPU / CPU and even the type.
If thats the case there may be some obstacles in the way of a distributed renderfarm.
Unless the results get mixed and equalized.
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Theo_Gottwald wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:53 pm I have often heared that especially Renders with Luxcore differ a bit depending on if they are made with GPU / CPU and even the type.
In general, any such difference is a bug, and should be reported and fixed.
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

Which is a clear statement on this topic. SO nothing in the way then.
I was reading this topic.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2682&p=25912&hilit=epsilon#p25912
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

https://cgru.info/
curious, if we configure such a thing, will it work with Luxcore?
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

The developer of a distributed render farm supporting Luxcore 2.0 replied: "The stimulus is needed, not material."
https://i.imgur.com/IYP0v0s.png

He has a completely ready-made analogue of Sheppit with Luxcore support.
Several years ago, when the project was in working order, I rendered on his farm, everything works fine.
Differences from Sheppit:

- Encrypted. Protecting the privacy of projects
- Unlimited list of personal tasks.
- No limit on file size 500MB
- There is support for Multilayer EXR
- Automatic saving of finished renders. (When starting the task, the save path is specified)
- Render node blocking blacklists
- Render node favorites whitelisting
- Private projects for rendering only with your own render nodes
- Schedule of work of a node and work of devices
- When starting a project, you can specify the minimum performance of a render node that will have access to work on the project (minimum number of GHz, RAM, CPU cores and GPU availability)
- Tiles. No Denoise artifacts. For statics and animation.
- Wide selection of tiling (from 2 * 2 to 8 * 8)
- Personal list of nodes working on the task
- Explicit designation of the node that has hung, disappeared from the network, etc.
- Automatic reset of problem nodes
- A single server under close supervision and direct access of the author of the farm
- Support for Luxcore, Cycles, and many other renderings from other programs (Cinema 4D, etc.)
- The “start minimized to tray” setting
- Windows and Linux.

Friends, all this is there, all this has already worked. All developments are saved. Everything can be turned on, run and we will have our own Luxcore network rendering for images and animations.
There are already many of us, we can do amazing things!

You just need to give motivation to the developer. He doesn't need money. The farm will be free. All you need is activity, users, project life.

What I propose is to collect feedback from those who wish. Let's just count how many people want such a farm?
If you are interested, leave some signal. +1 or comment as you see fit.
Last edited by Dez! on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
neoncreeper

Post by neoncreeper »

This seems like a really good idea, I've long wish sheepit supported luxcore and this would be a huge boon to the community. I think it would really help to end the stigma that luxcore has of "Lux is too slow for animations" - I think most regular uses know that this is of course false but alot of potential users still see luxcore as being the same as luxrender and see it as something where youd sink 30 hours into a still just to get some caustics, when as we all well know its one of the best open source renderers available.
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

I completely agree.
the emergence of this project will open up many new possibilities.