AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Re: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:39 pm Will gracefully leave my 8700k for this one !
Paired with two Navi 5700 will shine like diamond :twisted:
The new Radeon 5700 XT looked promising and is for sure a good gaming card but to compute heavily is not its strength as LuxMark 3.1 tests show.
The 5700 XT is much slower than any new card it only reaches the level of R9 390X this is 2.2 times slower than NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super or 2.5 times slower than Radeon VII. The latter costs approx. 10% more than RTX 2070 Super but it has more VRAM with the disadvantage of higher TDP and louder sound. Depending on ones need the RTX 2070 Super is a best deal for rendering and gaming.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

The new Radeon 5700 XT looked promising and is for sure a good gaming card but to compute heavily is not its strength as LuxMark 3.1 tests show.
The 5700 XT is much slower than any new card it only reaches the level of R9 390X this is 2.2 times slower than NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super or 2.5 times slower than Radeon VII. The latter costs approx. 10% more than RTX 2070 Super but it has more VRAM with the disadvantage of higher TDP and louder sound. Depending on ones need the RTX 2070 Super is a best deal for rendering and gaming.
Isn't this due to poor opencl Driver ? as many reviewer got crash during test with other opencl compute bench software : https://www.anandtech.com/show/14618/th ... 0-review/3
The big issue at the moment is that while AMD’s drivers are in fairly good shape for gaming, the same cannot be said for compute. Most of our compute benchmarks either failed to have their OpenCL kernels compile, triggered a Windows Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR), or would just crash. As a result, only three of our regular benchmarks were executable here, with Folding@Home, parts of CompuBench, and Blender all getting whammied.

And "executable" is the choice word here, because even though benchmarks like LuxMark would run, the scores the RX 5700 cards generated were nary better than the Radeon RX 580. This a part that they can easily beat on raw FLOPs, let alone efficiency. So even when it runs, the state of AMD's OpenCL drivers is at a point where these drivers are likely not indicative of anything about Navi or the RDNA architecture; only that AMD has a lot of work left to go with their compiler.
The RDNA architecture is pretty new nd i think lot of things need to be updated to give right performance.

Rx 5700xt = 9.75 TFLOPs
Rx 580 = 5.3 TFLOPS
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:51 am

Isn't this due to poor opencl Driver ?

Rx 5700xt = 9.75 TFLOPs
Rx 580 = 5.3 TFLOPS
Yes, looks like. I‘ve posted a quote too
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1219

9.75 TFLOPS is peak performance, high duty is rather 9.0 TFLOPS.
According to data sheet, LuxMark 3.1 benchmark should reach about twice the current test does.
Let‘s hope AMD improves the openCL driver. There are rumors Radeon VII reached already end of life cycle...

(I need a replacement for my R9 390X which is out of order since yesterday...)
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

I still think that for the price it is better to get 2070 super and maybe later another one. They have nvlink! so you would get 2x the power of 2070 and 16GB Vram! Although I'm not sure if getting 16gb vram would be a simple plug and play.