Blog

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Blog

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Hi,

On the discord server, Egert told us about a recent movie he worked on where he used LuxCore in some shots. This lead to the thought that it would be nice to have a blog where professional users could post stories like this one.
It could also be a place for "user-friendly release notes" with example pictures for new features.

Since we already use wordpress, I thought we can create a blog page for this on the main site, and give some users the rights to publish posts there.
I know that this sounds a bit like a duplication of the "news" section of this forum, but I think a blog is better for these kind of posts, because you can have much nicer text/image formatting and less noisy unrelated surroundings (forum UI).

Dade, what do you think of this idea?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Blog

Post by lacilaci »

I think blogpost page should also be a landing page of luxcore and from there you should have an option to go to download and gallery etc.. to keep things modernized, people no longer visit webpages but facebook fanpages and blogs etc...
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:12 pm Dade, what do you think of this idea?
The forum "News" section is, from my point of view, a Blog. Only people with Developer forum rank can create a new post there but we can easily add a new forum rank for this task and give anyone we want the right to post there.

However perception may be different from reality nowadays so, like Lacilaci wrote, I'm not sure if people are rendering the "News" but may prefer to read facebook/blog/twitter/whatever :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:43 pm
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:12 pm Dade, what do you think of this idea?
The forum "News" section is, from my point of view, a Blog. Only people with Developer forum rank can create a new post there but we can easily add a new forum rank for this task and give anyone we want the right to post there.

However perception may be different from reality nowadays so, like Lacilaci wrote, I'm not sure if people are rendering the "News" but may prefer to read facebook/blog/twitter/whatever :?:
News is a forum category in terms of luxcore web... Here's a good example of blogpost type of newsfilter: http://blog.irayrender.com/
Not exactly a success story but a nice modern way to tell your users you're alive and going... I'm also starting to think about some marketing campaign, nothing big but something to gain more traction since many websites that relay news are kinda blind to luxcore...
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I like how the factorio guys do it, every week they make a blogpost on the development and create a topic in their forum about it where they link the blogpost. The discussion then happens in the forum.
As a reader, if you are only interested in a nicely formatted blogpost, you just read the blog, and if you want to comment on a post, you click the link to the forum topic.
tayo6

Post by tayo6 »

Blog is a good idea, although i buy the idea of getting a facebook page just like Dada said, because we need more people to visit this blog. Cycles has one and they are amass users daily, you need to go on cycles's facebook page, a considerable amount of cycles users stumbled upon cycles gallery on facebook and that was what bought them over. Thing is, not every one likes to register to belong to a forum, plus not everyone knows luxcore. Luxcore has to be promoted on a well known platform, and from there, people can be directed to the forum. Luxcore admin should adopt cycles pattern of market luxcore render, which i have to say is very effective, no need reinventing the wheel, copy and paste cycles's pattern.

N.B : Let's not forget presets blog or page for luxcore, that would make new users feel comfortable with luxcore
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

I think if we could have something similar for blog, so that before diving in, user can see also a thumbnail of the stuff they are about to read. Forum might be a bit too text centered and scare new users :D Less text and more visual

https://code.blender.org/ or something toward this
Attachments
Capture.PNG
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

lacilaci wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:47 pm ...more traction since many websites that relay news are kinda blind to luxcore...
Depends on what you are looking. Luxmark is well established for hardware tests on most famous review sites. Luxmark is therefore a good news and marketing instrument if Luxmark got updated automatically like current LuxCoreRender dev. releases but with alphas only.
A nice fresh feature in Luxmark would be one ore two ‚real time raytrace‘ scenes with latest feature or with the gravity game Dade posted a while ago.

Wordpress Blogs have some nice features and look more professional than a this version of forum. News are practical here but nothing for a news feed. Just my personal opinion.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Generally speaking, I think it's a great idea but...

...My only concern about a blog is that you need to feed it, otherwise it shortly become a worst situation than don't have it.
The danger is to have a blog with no updates and in just a second, an occasional user would think that LuxCore project is dead.

Often you start with a lot of passion , the difficult part starts some time later...when enthusiasm for this idea start to falling down.

So, as tool to communicate updates it's fine but you have to consider to take your time to update it and to have arguments to show.

Sorry for this not-so-positive-attitude post but I've seen this many time and tested by myself...so it's just a personal POV.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Indigo news section is a good example of what a blog should look like :

https://www.indigorenderer.com/blog

Vray one is also very nice :

https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog
...My only concern about a blog is that you need to feed it, otherwise it shortly become a worst situation than don't have it.
The danger is to have a blog with no updates and in just a second, an occasional user would think that LuxCore project is dead.
Most of the time this is solves by having :

#1 ____More user onboard (something luxcore for blender 2.8 and other Maya and Max plugin will boost ;) )

#2 ____ And current user to create good quality artwork more often with luxcore (also share it on blender artist)

#3 ____ More Tutorial covering any subject about luxcore.

#2 is the most realistic target for anyone already involved in the project ...
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA