PhotonGI cache

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:16 pm 1. What will happen if I try to render through reflection :D? I actually did render like that in past to get a bit of spherical distortion using corona and you bet people will be doing stuff like that :D
The estimated radius will not account for the deformation. In a scene like this, the estimated radius will not account for the lens magnification:

So it will not be totally off but also not so accurate in this case.
lacilaci wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:16 pm 2. What are those ray differentials - is this the ability to differentiate between glossy, specular, diffuse... rays?
It is this stuff: https://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/trd/

It is annoying to write because it has a cost and requires to add code to any camera and material type. However it is also very useful because it can be used for stuff like picking the LoD of an object, selecting the mip map level of a texture map (kept on disk and cached), etc.. The latter is a pretty mandatory feature for very high productions where you can have many terabytes of very high resolution texture maps.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I have added support for the auto radius in BlendLuxCore.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

PhotonGI will evaluate the best radius for your scene.
I have added support for the auto radius in BlendLuxCore.
you'are fast :geek:

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

It seems to be working fine in every testscene I tried. But it seems there is some issue and even with lot of photons I get large dark/black areas.
I don't know if it's some material or maybe carpets, but the scene has a lot of openings so it shouldn't be so hard to cover the scene with cache.
Screenshot from 2019-03-08 16-54-01.png
simplified version of the scene doesn't show the issue, so I'll try to find out what is killing the photons...
Screenshot from 2019-03-08 17-02-24.png
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 pm It seems to be working fine in every testscene I tried. But it seems there is some issue and even with lot of photons I get large dark/black areas.
However, If there is something, it can not bet related to the auto-radius (as it affects only the the radius size). You should get the same result if you specified the radius by hand or use the auto-radius.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:08 pm
lacilaci wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 pm It seems to be working fine in every testscene I tried. But it seems there is some issue and even with lot of photons I get large dark/black areas.
However, If there is something, it can not bet related to the auto-radius (as it affects only the the radius size). You should get the same result if you specified the radius by hand or use the auto-radius.
Yes I don't think it's related to that. This scene is giving me issues all the time with photongi but I have to dissassemble it piece by piece to figure out what's killing the performance there...
Fox

Post by Fox »

Can we have ULLONG_MAX integer limit upgrade for caustic photons tracing, but we keep the U_int for storing?
Or option for tracing passes, trace 4294967295 and store 300000, then trace 2'th time and store and so on.
The tracing goes pretty fast with small depth, but the hit ratio is very low.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Ok, so I've finally figured out what kills performance of photongi so much in my scene...

It's meshlights - emission material!!

As you can see even turning off direct light sampling and turning off use photongi in material does not help :!:

emission disabled:
Screenshot from 2019-03-10 07-09-47.png
emission enabled:
Screenshot from 2019-03-10 07-08-51.png
This needs to get fixed otherwise we cannot create materials like monitor displays or small lightsources without killing photonGI.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:13 am This needs to get fixed otherwise we cannot create materials like monitor displays or small lightsources without killing photonGI.
That kind of "black poison" is usually due to NaNs. It must be something specific of the scene because it usually doesn't happen, can you post a test scene ?

Anyway, I'm going to add a anti-NaNs safety net so the poison will not be possible anymore.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:59 am
lacilaci wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:13 am This needs to get fixed otherwise we cannot create materials like monitor displays or small lightsources without killing photonGI.
That kind of "black poison" is usually due to NaNs. It must be something specific of the scene because it usually doesn't happen, can you post a test scene ?

Anyway, I'm going to add a anti-NaNs safety net so the poison will not be possible anymore.
I can't now cause I'm on a photoshoot. I can post the scene tomorrrow.

But the cause is definitely emission on material as you can see in the screenshots, where it only happens with emission plugged in.