PhotonGI cache

Discussion related to the Engine functionality, implementations and API.
provisory

Re: PhotonGI cache

Post by provisory » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:23 pm

Dade wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:42 am
I should have fixed the problem...
Thank you!

provisory

Post by provisory » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 pm

lacilaci wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:55 pm
I have this idea that might be a bit stupid but maybe not:

Would it be possible to control after how many bounces is photongi used? Maybe this would help with some reflection artifacting or leaks?

So maybe have 1 or 2 bounces brute force and afterwards sample from cache(a control exposed to the user).

The reason is that sometimes luxcore performs well in interior even without photongi but some areas are a bit "too deep" in terms of gi so they could benefit from photongi. However enabling cache might bring some artifacting even to areas which were ok and fast before. So I have to pick between artifacts and speed...

In my head I think this could help protect areas exposed to few bounces but still give speedup for hard to reach areas.
I like the idea of the control over the number of bounces before using PGI cache.

In the meantime you could try to enable Add Light Tracing with Glossiness Threshold: 1.
According to my tests it helps to illuminate hard to reach areas. After all PGI uses Light Tracing too.
Cons: doesn't work with Matte (but works with Glossy or Disney with max. roughness) and darkens speculars (without PSR)

lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:56 am

provisory wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 pm
lacilaci wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:55 pm
I have this idea that might be a bit stupid but maybe not:

Would it be possible to control after how many bounces is photongi used? Maybe this would help with some reflection artifacting or leaks?

So maybe have 1 or 2 bounces brute force and afterwards sample from cache(a control exposed to the user).

The reason is that sometimes luxcore performs well in interior even without photongi but some areas are a bit "too deep" in terms of gi so they could benefit from photongi. However enabling cache might bring some artifacting even to areas which were ok and fast before. So I have to pick between artifacts and speed...

In my head I think this could help protect areas exposed to few bounces but still give speedup for hard to reach areas.
I like the idea of the control over the number of bounces before using PGI cache.

In the meantime you could try to enable Add Light Tracing with Glossiness Threshold: 1.
According to my tests it helps to illuminate hard to reach areas. After all PGI uses Light Tracing too.
Cons: doesn't work with Matte (but works with Glossy or Disney with max. roughness) and darkens speculars (without PSR)
hm, never tried such high threshold..

lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:29 am

But it also makes me think.. Isn't it necessary to have lighttracing threshold at 1 so that all materials are included for correct sds with PSR build?