Volume sampling

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Volume sampling

Post by Sharlybg »

Ok ! i decide to work on a short animation i have in mind for a while now. but i'm encountering an issue i've already seen multiple time on different project.

The issue

As soon as you get some smoke / or volumetric light / dust in a scene luxcore converge way slower than cycles. And mostly inside of thoses volumetric area.

My scene

this scene is optimized for animation i shouldn't exceed 5 min rendertime if i want this to become a reality. but as soon as i add my volumetric box BOOM convergence become seriously slow. 1H45mn for this
4.png
the test scene

so i create i small test scene for both cycles and luxcore.

Luxcore

The Blend
volume test.blend
(697.9 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
lux.jpg

Cycles
cycl.jpg

Maybe an idea

Cycles have separate setting for volume max bounce (it is set to 0 by default) and it is really fast at 0. become a bit slower at 12. but still faster than luxcore.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Volume sampling

Post by Sharlybg »

Depending on your hardware (CPU) you should change the halt time to match cycles time.

Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

If it isn't yet evident, I will not look in anything else until when I'm out of the "white rabbit hole" (i.e. CUDA, Out-of-Core rendering, new Random/Sobol sampler for (mostly) OoC).
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Dade wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:05 pm If it isn't yet evident, I will not look in anything else until when I'm out of the "white rabbit hole" (i.e. CUDA, Out-of-Core rendering, new Random/Sobol sampler for (mostly) OoC).
Sure I understand that. but make a while i have to report this. also as my project is in development i can wait until final rendering become urgent.
from here to the point all get finish there is time.

fluxfish

Post by fluxfish »

Just a first pic and maybe more details will get done but I would spend the black-yellow-column right-side in the back a bit more wear-and-tear, a to clean and new appearance in garage-surroundings is sort of boring and unnatural, deflects attention - the most shiny thing will be that monster machine.