Suggestion for luxcore material library / preset

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
tayo6

Suggestion for luxcore material library / preset

Post by tayo6 »

Hello there,
Please what happened to this page? http://www.luxrender.net/lrmdb2/en/ I don't see much materials in there.
For more than 7 years I have been working as a music producer and the VSTI (software for making music) that caught people's attention were the ones with lots of presets and libraries. Cycles renders has adopted this style too, check this website https://www.blendswap.com/blends/categories/cycles. This includes one of the reasons why I believe over the last 3 years people have been drawn to cycles; easy access to materials/ preset. Yes, some people are just plain lazy to make materials from scratch, although,  material library can be an avenue for beginners to learn by exploring materials setup by professionals .
I would very much like luxcore to revive this page
http://www.luxrender.net/lrmdb2/en/  , that way, people can even tweak a particular preset to their desirable taste/ look.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Suggestion for luxcore material library / preset

Post by Sharlybg »

This is already planned with maybe a deeper solution ;)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

tayo6 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:31 am Cycles renders has adopted this style too, check this website https://www.blendswap.com/blends/categories/cycles.
As far as I know, blendswap is a project by a third party and not made by the Blender Foundation/Cycles developers.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

I asked about a "A web site where to upload/download material definitions to build a public library of LuxCore materials" here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=308

It was voted but less that one could have expected.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Speaking for myself...

Something like an asset/material manager(which blender 2.8 should be getting at some point) is much more valuable than someone's poor attempt at a realistic material with lowres textures and all kinds of wrong values that need to be inspected. Most of free shared assets are not realy that good and if something is really good, a tutorial is much more valuable.

On other hand, if someone or a group would create high quality consistent library something like sigershaders for corona or vray I'd gladly pay. But it needs to be top level, flawles, lot of content and high res textures(again, look at sigershaders).

Not mentioning, that PBR shaders build on principled material are mostly controlled by PBR inputs/textures created from something like substance painter and similar. It is no longer needed to do dark voodoo magic to make realistic plastic or metal materials.
Most of materials I ever did with luxcore are 1-2 texture inputs and small changes in material values...

But, on the other hand... There are few things that could use a default preset as a starting point. It's usually those requiring volumes and values for them..
Snow, juice, water, some types of glass etc.. No textures, just some starting point setup for correct values.

Again, just my opinion on material libraries..
tayo6

Post by tayo6 »

@Sharlybg thanks, patiently waiting for that day. Although, please can a page dedicated to material library be available asap before the next update of luxcore is able to use preset?

@B.Y.O.B. oh sorry, that was an error from my side. A material page would go a long way, regardless of who is running it

@Dade I don't own substance painter, but I believe their website has a dedicated page for material libraries. This so called material library page could boost the increase in luxcore users. Imagine having 1000 material preset, that itself would make luxcore novice a little confident to use luxcore render
Last edited by tayo6 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tayo6

Post by tayo6 »

@ lacilaci I agree with you. The quality of the material library truly matters. Maybe members should have gotten to a certain level on luxcore forum before they are allowed to post libraries or materials, because I'm new to render engines and i wouldn't want to explore to learn from a poorly setup nodes.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

tayo6 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:14 pm @ lacilaci I agree with you. The quality of the material library truly matters. Maybe members should have gotten to a certain level on luxcore forum before they are allowed to post libraries or materials, because I'm new to render engines and i wouldn't want to explore to learn from a poorly setup nodes.
Like I said, best way to make it properly would be an individual or small business to make a complete library, even if for money(No one will do this for free). The hard part here isn't makeing materials, it is making all the required textures. I have everything in my office to make high res textures + normals etc... But just finding good samples to photograph and then time to do all the conversions etc is just not worth it and I rather buy textures online myself :D.

But, maybe if luxcore would indeed build their own library, it could be another source of income for the project. But I repeat, making good textures is ton of work on it's own and only other option is procedurals and while this often sounds like a great idea, I'm yet to see good looking wood or fabric procedural...
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:50 pm But I repeat, making good textures is ton of work on it's own and only other option is procedurals and while this often sounds like a great idea, I'm yet to see good looking wood or fabric procedural...
Also procedurals are slower than imagemaps and kill GPUs (kernel compiling and rendering speed). But they use less RAM.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:33 pm Also procedurals are slower than imagemaps and kill GPUs (kernel compiling and rendering speed). But they use less RAM.
Instead of calculating them on a GPU would it be possible to render them in a definable resolution first and export them as kind of texture?
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1