Remembering the Past

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Remembering the Past

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Continuing an old story, based on a vague memory of a gadget made from a magnetic base a ferric spheres, I found this intermediate.
Path Render, or knows anybody pointing the right way?
Path Render, or knows anybody pointing the right way?
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Remembering the Past, updated

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Respecting first acceptable screen resolution of home PCs, I have chosen 800x600 base resolution and rendered a 300% 2400x1800 picture.

On my PC with two amd R9 x90X graphic cards and current recommended adrenaline 19.1.1 driver this took already a while, total path depth 40, clamped around 30'000.
Wiki lists for R9 390X, floating point single-prec. (IEEE-754 32 bit) 5,9 TFlops and for double-prec. (IEEE-754 64 bit) 0.74 TFlops, memory bandwith 384 GByte/s; the R9 290X is about as fast at 90% of 390X.
The attachment Which Way_You decide on your own_GPU Path_Sam 10'000_Sob 0.55_FBH 1.25_3200x2400_AutoBr.jpg is no longer available
Because I was not so happy with scenes draft version I added glass spheres, changed floor material form matte to glossy with some roughness, added four area lights, red, green, blue and amber (once a promising approach to mix white light for setable blackbody temperature) and moved spot light to the center above top of the sculpture.

The next picture rendered almost 7 hours on CPU intel 64 bit i7 4770K 3.5 GHz (4+4 cores) speed unclear yet ~0.17 TFlops, BiDir depth 80, Metropolis and tonemapper Reinhard.
Which Way_You decide on your own_GPU Path 40_Sam 10'000_Sob 0.55_FBH 1.25_3200x2400_Lin AutoBr
Which Way_You decide on your own_GPU Path 40_Sam 10'000_Sob 0.55_FBH 1.25_3200x2400_Lin AutoBr
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Remembering the Past, the scene file

Post by FarbigeWelt »

I guess the are some tricks to improve rendering speed for the scene, with out loosing visible depth in reflections of the spheres in 4800x3600 pictures.

Feel free to download and tweak the scene.
Simple Remember Scene.zip
Free usable scene file of You decide on your own. (remarks: on your own path, there are some in the mirror, aren't there? Or is all illusion of choice only?
(398.74 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Remembering the Past, GPU 4800x3600

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Takes some time with total path depth of 80, doesn't it?
Which Way_You decide on your own_GPU Path_Sob 0.60_Sam__10'000_depth _4800x3600_VRAM 831 M_5h56m_Reinhard.jpg
Both, test result discussion and conclusions follow soon, as well as some meta ideas behind the scene.
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Remembering the Past, Resolutions and Relations

Post by FarbigeWelt »

My analysis requires a few intermediate steps, like this one, the collection of historical data.
Remember the Past_Resolutions and Relations_Info 2
Remember the Past_Resolutions and Relations_Info 2
The illustration is 50% reduced. Original resolution cannot be uploaded yet even with jpg size of 5 MB.
The attachment Remember the Past_Resolutions and Relations_50pc.jpg is no longer available
EDIT 1: Due to layout issues, code part replaced with an image.
EDIT 2: bits per on screen image corrected and considered for theoretical speed comparision.
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Remembering the Past, examples CPUs since 1982

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Intels performance for Core ix's floating points/cycle ratio is impressive compared with AMD's current Ryzen's performance but AMD is probably in the be the better position with already released 7 nm products while intel postponed market launch of their 10 nm Core ix CPUs again. Moore's law or better intels hypothesis about numbers of transistors depens on structure size development and latter defines electrical resistance together with useable frequency what also means efficiency respective dissipation. As long as decreasing structures' size was 'simple' (besides to achivewith every step smaller particle sizes and counts in clean rooms, chemicals and also reducing abrasion of instruments and processes) companies' roadmaps followed intel's hypothesis as if there were a bounty to get. The cards are shuffled and freshly dealt. May the player with smarters moves get ahead of next round, the Dissipation Management.
Example CPUs since 1982.png
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Remembering the Past, example GPU since 2006

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Before 2006 graphic cards for gaming did not support double precision (32 bit) floating point operation.
But since then the cards computing power increased rapidly and reached within a few years TFLOPs level much more oeconomicly than CPUs.
Example GPUs since 2006
Example GPUs since 2006
MacBook Air with M1