Tile by tile Rendering

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
kumaran7

Tile by tile Rendering

Post by kumaran7 »

Is there any way to change tile by tile rendering like cycles.im running on i3 and Hd 5450 gpu.how can i optimize rendering on my pottato pc :) .
wasd

Re: Tile by tile Rendering

Post by wasd »

kumaran7 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:02 am Is there any way to change tile by tile rendering like cycles.im running on i3 and Hd 5450 gpu.how can i optimize rendering on my pottato pc :) .
I don't really know anything, but I will tell you anyway! :D
I think your gpu is not compatible with luxcore, so it's only cpu you can count on. I don't think tiles could help, because tiles or not, you'll need certain amount of samples per pixel to get clean image. And it's about how many samples per unit of time your cpu's doing.
My observations:
1) Path engine is faster than Bidir
2) Diffuse light generate more noise than direct light
3) Volumes take very long time to render
4) I don't really use anything besides bidir and hdri lighting, so I don't really know anything
5) While rendering luxcore shows Samples/Sec number, it's samples per pixel. If you image has 1 million pixels and your samples/sec is 200k, you'll get 1 sample for each pixel in 5 seconds. And 1000 samples (on average) for each pixel in 1000 * 5 seconds = 83 minutes. So, if rendering is going to be longer than you want it to, you'll have to change something in your scene.

It's not what you're asking about, it's just to entertaing you a little until someone wise shows up ;)
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kumaran7 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:02 am Is there any way to change tile by tile rendering like cycles.im running on i3 and Hd 5450 gpu.how can i optimize rendering on my pottato pc :) .
Do you mean setting the tile size or something else ? In LuxCore, the amount of samples for each tile (i.e. the amount of work) is <tile width> x <tile height> x <AA> and you can change all 3 parameters.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
kumaran7

Post by kumaran7 »

wasd wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:54 am
I don't really know anything, but I will tell you anyway! :D
I think your gpu is not compatible with luxcore, so it's only cpu you can count on. I don't think tiles could help, because tiles or not, you'll need certain amount of samples per pixel to get clean image. And it's about how many samples per unit of time your cpu's doing.
My observations:
1) Path engine is faster than Bidir
2) Diffuse light generate more noise than direct light
3) Volumes take very long time to render
4) I don't really use anything besides bidir and hdri lighting, so I don't really know anything
5) While rendering luxcore shows Samples/Sec number, it's samples per pixel. If you image has 1 million pixels and your samples/sec is 200k, you'll get 1 sample for each pixel in 5 seconds. And 1000 samples (on average) for each pixel in 1000 * 5 seconds = 83 minutes. So, if rendering is going to be longer than you want it to, you'll have to change something in your scene.

It's not what you're asking about, it's just to entertaing you a little until someone wise shows up ;)
Thank you Wasd
kumaran7

Post by kumaran7 »

Dade wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:48 am
Do you mean setting the tile size or something else ? In LuxCore, the amount of samples for each tile (i.e. the amount of work) is <tile width> x <tile height> x <AA> and you can change all 3 parameters.
More like cycles rendering where result will show after rendering tile by tile but not rendering again and again.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kumaran7 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:49 pm More like cycles rendering where result will show after rendering tile by tile but not rendering again and again.
There is an adaptive rendering option where tiles are not rendered anymore when they noise is under a threshold. However tile rendering is worse than full image rendering in general and should be used only if you don't have enough memory to store the complete image in CPU/GPU memory.

Just use no tile rendering if you can, it is better.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
kumaran7

Post by kumaran7 »

Dade wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:13 pm
kumaran7 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:49 pm More like cycles rendering where result will show after rendering tile by tile but not rendering again and again.
There is an adaptive rendering option where tiles are not rendered anymore when they noise is under a threshold. However tile rendering is worse than full image rendering in general and should be used only if you don't have enough memory to store the complete image in CPU/GPU memory.

Just use no tile rendering if you can, it is better.
thank you dade :)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Just for the record, if you want to have a config similar to Cycles:
- enable "Tiled"
- disable "Multipass"
And then you can control the number of samples via the "AA Samples" setting (note that this number is getting squared, so if you set it to 3 AA samples, you get 9 samples per pixel).

However as Dade said it's not really recommended because full image sampling is almost always faster.
Attachments
2019-01-06_16-12-13.png
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

full image sampling is almost always faster
Under what sort of circumstances might this not be the case?

Thanks
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

For example if you have an object which is hard to render, but doesn't cover much space in the image, surrounded by background (easy to render).
In this case full image sampling would waste a lot of samples on the background, even with adaptive sampling, while tiled rendering would stop rendering the background after the second pass.

To illustrate, I did this video a while back, which only shows an emissive volume (completely noise free at 1 sample per pixel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vEYcmvlMis
When I placed an object in the middle of the tunnel, it took extremely long to get clean compared to the rest - this would be a case where tiled render is better.