Mac OS

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Mac OS

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

mick wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:21 am They are available when adding a new material in the node editor, but not in the material panel.
This is the intended behaviour.
It would be a lot more work to have two material editors.
robbrown
Developer
Developer

Post by robbrown »

Are you using the scene files in the main repo LuxCore repo or the LuxCoreTestScenes?

Can you send me a crash log?

Should be in:
  1. * Applications->Utilities->Console
    * Left Pane -> User Reports -> luxcoreui_*.crash
    * Right click on the crash log to reveal location in finder
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

mick wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 am Also the non-openCL version crashes with the sample files.
On my MacBook I can't open the test scenes with non-openCl luxcoreUI:

Code: Select all

RenderConfig loading error: 
Unknown render engine type in RenderEngine::ToProperties(): PATHOCL
When I open the blend files in Blender with blendluxcore non-openCl (CPU-PATH) they crash when trying to render.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:11 am
mick wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 am Also the non-openCL version crashes with the sample files.
On my MacBook I can't open the test scenes with non-openCl luxcoreUI:

Code: Select all

RenderConfig loading error: 
Unknown render engine type in RenderEngine::ToProperties(): PATHOCL
You can change the render engine in the render.cfg file: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... er.cfg#L16
The available engine types are listed here: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/LuxCore_ ... der_Engine ("PATHCPU", "TILEPATHCPU" etc.)
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Thanks B.Y.O.B.
Changing from "PATHOCL" to "PATHCPU" in the render cfg results in just another "Unterminated quote in property: renderengine.type" error.

There was hoping to initiate a LuxCoreUI crash so I could help @robbrown with the crashlog.

(Currently trying to build a Windows PC so I can finally render stuff in Cycles, LuxCore etc but apparently Blender won't work with an RTX 2070 so I'm stuck there too...)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

epilectrolytics wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:50 am Changing from "PATHOCL" to "PATHCPU" in the render cfg results in just another "Unterminated quote in property: renderengine.type" error.
Can you show the relevant part of the file?
Maybe you used the wrong quote character?
epilectrolytics wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:50 am (Currently trying to build a Windows PC so I can finally render stuff in Cycles, LuxCore etc but apparently Blender won't work with an RTX 2070 so I'm stuck there too...)
You have to look for a build with latest CUDA kernels, I think there are a few floating around. E.g. look on blenderartists.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 pm Can you show the relevant part of the file?
Maybe you used the wrong quote character?
Success!!!
Deleted the food scene, downloaded again, changed "PATHOCL" to "PATHCPU" and suddenly all those delicious things appear on my screen!
Works with both standalone versions (openCL and non-openCL).
Also works with "PATHOCL" and 'opencl.cpu.use = 1' + 'opencl.gpu.use = 0'.
The original file takes forever to compile kernels, I stopped the process after 45min.
Dunno what went wrong on the earlier attempt.
Screen Shot 2018-11-09.jpg
You have to look for a build with latest CUDA kernels, I think there are a few floating around. E.g. look on blenderartists.
We'll see if I'm up to the task of dealing with blender builds, I never had a PC or worked with Windows, all new stuff to me :oops:
At least Black Friday and Christmas are approaching :)
Last edited by epilectrolytics on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick

Post by mick »

After editing the .cfg of the food sample, rendering proceedes until 61% and the crashes with
Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Logical CPU: 0
Error Code: 0x02000148
Trap Number: 133

My own simpler scenes can be rendered successfully.
robbrown
Developer
Developer

Post by robbrown »

I was able to complete the fruit scene with non-opencl alpha release on my macbook pro (not the machine I build on) with the instructions about .cfg changes a few posts up. Can you describe what you have going on for your scene setup or just attach the .cfg file and crash report? Should be able to grab the old report as Mac saves them in the console utility.

I've entertained the idea of writing metal support since OS X OpenCL tends to have its glitches and oddities like kernel builds are slow as epilectrolytics noted.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

robbrown wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:46 am I've entertained the idea of writing metal support since OS X OpenCL tends to have its glitches and oddities like kernel builds are slow as epilectrolytics noted.
It would like a lot of work, try to check if there is something like a OpenCL-over-Metal emulator (like the OpenCL-over-Vulkan project I'm looking at as an option for using NVIDIA RTX acceleration).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties