Artifacts running GPU

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
stefdln

Artifacts running GPU

Post by stefdln »

Hey everyone
I was just fiddling around showing stuff to someone and I noticed I'm getting really bad artifacts on that cylinder when running GPU mode. As you can see this does not show up when rendering with CPU only.
This is kind of annoying, is this a known terminator related issue ?
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Attachments
GPUtest.png
CPUtest.png
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Artifacts running GPU

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Your scene might be very large or very small, or the object has some huge scale that was not applied.
The fastest way to solve this problem is to raise the min.epsilon value in the scene settings (press the "Advanced LuxCore Settings" button in the unit settings to see this option).
Attachments
2018-08-16_15-34-21.png
stefdln

Post by stefdln »

0.0001 did not do the trick but 0.001 worked like a charm, thanks
Aso, I did not find anything about this setting on the wiki page, what's it for exactly ? How does it affect my render ?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The problem is caused by the low precision of floating point numbers.
The min. epsilon is a small value that is added in some places to avoid this issue. For example, it is added to rays to offset them a bit from the hit surface, to avoid wrong self-shadowing.
See also viewtopic.php?f=2&t=560&hilit=epsilon&start=10#p5517
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Well it still remains a question why it is acting differently on cpu than on gpu and if something can be done about it. I've seen changing min. epsilon value impacting volume rendering a lot and it took me quite a bit of time to figure out what's going on.
stefdln

Post by stefdln »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:33 pm The problem is caused by the low precision of floating point numbers.
The min. epsilon is a small value that is added in some places to avoid this issue. For example, it is added to rays to offset them a bit from the hit surface, to avoid wrong self-shadowing.
See also viewtopic.php?f=2&t=560&hilit=epsilon&start=10#p5517
thanks for your explanation