is it possible to render caustics using path engine

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
frank_yifei

is it possible to render caustics using path engine

Post by frank_yifei »

I tried with latest blender addon to render a glass bottle with water, hoping to get a beautiful caustics effect.
I thought it is a matter of rendering time, but after a long time of rendering with path engine, I only got a noise free result. the glass bottle itself looks the same with bidi render. But the shadow of the bottle is solid and no caustics. I heard caustics can be rendered in path tracing renderer but takes longer time. is it possible to do it in luxcore render's path engine?
Also I tried rough glass, it has caustics and gives same result with bidi engine after longer rendering time.
I dont know it is a feature or a bug. Anyway, I created an issue on github.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: is it possible to render caustics using path engine

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

You need an intersectible light source, for example an area light or a sun light. A point or spot light does not work, they are infinitely small (not intersectible by path).
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Re: is it possible to render caustics using path engine

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Yes, and it works quite well, see e.g.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=576&start=40#p7043
As B.Y.O.P. explained, use a light with a certain expense, like area lights or a plane with emitting material. The area should be at least that of your object.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1