microroughness control

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

microroughness control

Post by lacilaci »

can we add microroughness controls for materials? Maybe as a part of upcoming principled shader?
Egert_Kanep

Re: microroughness control

Post by Egert_Kanep »

What is the purpose of micro roughness? How is it different from current roughness
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Yes microroughness is present.
But if you know of a better solution please, suggest, advise...

I'm still looking for best shader model, one that would be worth of implementing successfully (for starters, more efficient with specularity - producing less noise & less energy loss).
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

So, for example in fstorm you have this "angle affect" parameter in material that allows to controll roughness at grazing angles. There is similar feature in thea render and it can be somewhat emulates with nodes for cycles.
stefdln

Post by stefdln »

Isn't it called "sheen" in Disney's principled shader? Otherwise I don't get what you're after
Mango3

Post by Mango3 »

A surface with micro-roughness has several reflection contributions, sheen is an additional specular component at grazing angles to model e.g. light interacting with cloth fibers. Retro-reflection and diffuse components are the other ones. Disney's Principled Shader implements them.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

here's basicaly what I'm looking for: https://blenderartists.org/t/micro-angl ... 691900/340

I know this feature is present in fstorm material. It's a nice fancy effect that helps boost realism in some materials.