low cpu and gpu usage

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

low cpu and gpu usage

Post by lacilaci »

Is there a way to investigate why is luxcore not using all resources? Runing on opencl cpu+gpu win10 I have 15% cpu usage and 50%gpu usage during rendering (another 50% of gpu is dwm-desktop window manager)
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: low cpu and gpu usage

Post by Sharlybg »

I'm currently rendering on CPU + GPU and find this also strange :
CPU + GPU.jpg
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:35 pm I'm currently rendering on CPU + GPU and find this also strange :

CPU + GPU.jpg
But at least your cpu is runing at 100% my is at 15... Something is wrong and I didn't check before so I'm not even sure if it was always like this.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:53 pm But at least your cpu is runing at 100% my is at 15... Something is wrong and I didn't check before so I'm not even sure if it was always like this.
That is very strange, does it happen in any scene ? Or in a particular one ? Do you have enough ram to render the scene ?

Try to post a screenshot like the one posted by Sharlybg and a Blender view of the scene (to have an idea of the complexity).
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

That is very strange, does it happen in any scene ? Or in a particular one ? Do you have enough ram to render the scene ?

Try to post a screenshot like the one posted by Sharlybg and a Blender view of the scene (to have an idea of the complexity).
BTW just observe that in opencl mod GPU samples/sec start very low (65k) and take long time (1h) to reach full speed like (1.6M).

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:24 pm
lacilaci wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:53 pm But at least your cpu is runing at 100% my is at 15... Something is wrong and I didn't check before so I'm not even sure if it was always like this.

Ok so yesterday I left the rendering go for 2 hours all the time gpu was 50%(other 50 was desktop window management, maybe that's normal in windows?) and cpu didn't go over 20.

Today I tried again and gpu is mostly 85% and occasionaly dwm takes 50% but I only rendered for a while.. cpu never goes above 30.
On cpu path mode cpu usage is 100%

EDIT: I don't think my cpu is rendering when I enable openCL... I disabled use CPUs option with opencl to see gpu usage and I found out that cpu usage was again 30% so when I'm rendering on openCL even if I enable CPU I don't think it's rendering. will investigate some more...
Attachments
resources.jpg
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

EDIT: that gpu load is BS... Windows can't report gpu properly I guess....gpu-z shows 100% everytime opencl is rendering... fans are silent though.

EDIT2: CPU utilization is very low during opencl even in hw monitor. So yeah, I don't think cpus are rendering or I don't know.

EDIT3: OK I found the issue, it was the latest build that I installed manualy :oops: I think in the end I did screw up something while overwriting files, everything seemed to be working but enabling cpu in blender addon didn't really enable it. I reinstalled to alpha v3 and then alphav4 and both work just fine.

So there is a big chance that I didn't update blender addon properly or something. I will stick to official releases or if B.Y.O.B. makes some automated tool for daily builds, cause clearly I'm an idiot :roll:
Attachments
resources2.jpg
hwutil.JPG
hwutil.JPG (14.47 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Sharlybg wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:37 pm BTW just observe that in opencl mod GPU samples/sec start very low (65k) and take long time (1h) to reach full speed like (1.6M).
I have also noticed this.

@lacilaci I doubt you did anything wrong in the installation (it either works or it doesn't start at all). It might be a regression in a recent commit.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

I am observing same behavior, as if no CPU cores are used with Open CL (or something alike). Also with Standalone.
It's only happening with the 'Azure' latest build.
Previous 'cores' (up to 09.10.2018* - posted in forums) work fine.

*edit: correction on the 'core' date
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:42 pm I am observing same behavior, as if no CPU cores are used with Open CL (or something alike). Also with Standalone.
It's only happening with the 'Azure' latest build.
Are you sure ? I did this test:

1) download https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... opencl.zip and unzip;

2) run luxcoreui

3) load scenes/cornell/cornell.cfg

4) press "1" (to use PATHOCL)

5) it uses 12 threads on my 6 cores+hyper-threading with a 100% CPU load.

Can you post the output log in the luxcoreui console ?