Different Works in Progress

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Because many finished products set the mark to high for my current skills and intention I prefer to call my stuff as Different Works in Progress.

This scene is obviously on the edge of my hardware. Sampling rate is down to 35 kSamples/s. Path rendering is much faster but did not render the "sun" which is a point light because sun did not work. The sky is based on a double layered 256,128 sphere made from material null with homogenous inner material. Camera is set to panoramic what explains the special perspective. For the grass there are three different meshes to chose each containig a group of grass blades. Each grass group mesh is made with the help of several particle system. Each grass blade is made from a different shaped curve, tappered and bevelled, converted to mesh. The landscape is solidified mesh plane which was subdivided several times with different fractal settings, started with a higher number. The cows are build from cuboids only. Their texture is procedural.
Landscape with cows
Landscape with cows
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

The intention behind the scene above was to render a HDR image to use it as source of illumination.
After I recognized that the picture is visible and you can turn the camera and get a view as you were in the middle of the scene I simply rendered a camera turn around the four spheres made from dispersive glass or glossy translucent material.
Landscape with cows 1s
Landscape with cows 1s
https://youtu.be/Uc3RLriCylc

A few notes:
Rendering with illumination by HDR image is very fast.
Shadows are not thrown at background image.
Illumination with invisble HDR image might be rather useful.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Dandelion

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Dandelion
Dandelion
GPU tile path, 250 Samples, clamped

I did not expect how much time I had to spend to setup this scene. Some parts are revised several times before I could accept them. Finally I like the picture with its artificial look of this well known plant.
MacBook Air with M1
wasd

Re: Dandelion

Post by wasd »

Common dandelion's common flower has 3 to 7 layers of petals, with 24 to 36 petals in each layer. It's not really layers, I think it's maybe some parabolic spiral, like this
Sunflower_spiral.png
Sunflower_spiral.png (7.22 KiB) Viewed 13534 times
That's mine.
1.png
They have 5 layers of 25 rectangular petals each, not so detailed though.
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Re: Dandelion

Post by FarbigeWelt »

wasd wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:56 pm Common dandelion's common flower has 3 to 7 layers of petals, with 24 to 36 petals in each layer. It's not really layers, I think it's maybe some parabolic spiral, like this Sunflower_spiral.png
That's mine.
1.png
They have 5 layers of 25 rectangular petals each, not so detailed though.
Hi, wasd

Thank you for the feedback. You are right. There are too much petals. According to German wikipedia there are dandelions with 20 to 120 floral leafs.

I like your abstraction of the dandelion. It leads to a good looking grassland.
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Dandelion 2. mutante

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Dandelion 2. mutante
Dandelion 2. mutante
In a next step I'm going to work out the colors of the petals.
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Influence of Day light on Dandelion 3

Post by FarbigeWelt »

GPU Tile Path render, 250 Samples, 25 Frames. Sun turns 180° horizontal and 90° vertikal. Camera gain is animated too, because dusk and dawn are quite dark. Camera white balance would be a very appreciated enhancement.
Dandelion-3.gif
Or with all colors and 1000x1000 px.
https://youtu.be/1IDNHWY9DM0
MacBook Air with M1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Influence of Day light on Dandelion 3

Post by lacilaci »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:24 am Camera white balance would be a very appreciated enhancement.
And/Or blackbody control over sun color, or direct color control.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Dandelion updated

Post by FarbigeWelt »

New leaves, new flowers, different sky
New leaves, new flowers, different sky
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Green Cloth wrapping, Matte-Velvet

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Green Cloth
Green Cloth
GPU Path Sobol, 1xHD, halt conditions: 5 s per frame, time per frame 8.5 s with 33.5MS/s (system see signature), Sky with Sun
https://youtu.be/2nlij1LNZnU
Green Cloth Material
Green Cloth Material
Green Cloth Modifier
Green Cloth Modifier
Green Cloth Physics
Green Cloth Physics
Took a while to find parameters avoiding object passing throu itself. Be aware of modifiers order.
A hint in a blender forum refered to use of Corrective Smooth, what leads to nice, smooth surfaces here.
Use of Self Collision Distance >=0.85 solved this issue, togehter with Collision parameters in most cases for this cloth object.

Note, I recommend subdived meshes with same shape and size. Different shapes may lead to unexpected, instable simulation behaviour.
Use a minimal number of subdivided meshes to achieve appropriate look to keep simulation time acceptable.
Keep Repel Distance reasonable small, the larger this value the more time simulation takes.
Quality with low values works well for corrective smoothed meshes.
MacBook Air with M1