LuxCoreRender Project wants you!

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: LuxCoreRender Project wants you!

Post by Sharlybg »

Dade wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:53 pm One of the problems of current unit tests for LuxCore is that they far exceed the the max. time available on Travis-CI. Run all of them on an average machine, requires many hours. We would need a dedicate server to run the tests non stop but we are lacking one.

P.S. as end result, even if we have the unit tests we end to never run them :|
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 pm LuxCore has a lot of unit tests and BlendLuxCore only has a few, not sure if you mean those?
We should definitely expand the automated tests in BlendLuxCore, but I think the test framework has to be rewritten first, it's really clunky to use.

When I have time again I want to create a few more example scenes that will be available from the downloads page. With .blend file and LuxCore file fromat.
Don't really understand what the problem here :

1/ Is there urgent need for ready complet 3D scene ? blend file ? do size , complexity and nature matter ?

2/ What are the kind of requirement for theses hypothetic 3D scene ? interior / exterior /simple / complexe

3/ Is it for Developer and User ?

4/ what is the priority 3D scene or Tutorial ?

Believe me just want to understand and wanna help (even if i'm really busy). I can stop investing time and energy in other project and redirect it where it's really matter.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Unit tests are an automatic testing procedure usually intended to verify the functional of a single feature (i.e. a single part of the source code). They are particular useful to catch regressions (i.e. bugs introduced with new features). They are supposed to be run at every commit of new source code.

Our problem is the lack of hardware resource to run the procedure (and the lack of man power for further development).
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Dade wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:55 pm Unit tests are an automatic testing procedure usually intended to verify the functional of a single feature (i.e. a single part of the source code). They are particular useful to catch regressions (i.e. bugs introduced with new features). They are supposed to be run at every commit of new source code.

Our problem is the lack of hardware resource to run the procedure (and the lack of man power for further development).
Ah ok. It is a pretty tough situation. But sometime i wonder if it is not possible to promote luxcore but in real world. What do i mean ?

In countries like yours ( Italia / Deutschland / Russia ....etc) there are great universities where you can maybe find old friends or students that can accept to help an opensource project.

Or i am totally naive ....

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 pm and BlendLuxCore only has a few, not sure if you mean those?
Yes, to get back again to this topic, I did not mean unit tests, I know these are very useful, depending on how you code, you may have test methods for almost every method sometimed even for easy ones. And if there are many dependencies even a unit test for one method can get rather wide and fragile.

What I mean with test cases is closer to a step by step tutorial e.g. installation of luxcorerender blender addon from zip file or with preferences button "update". If different people on different pc setups (amd, Intel, nvidia) and OS versions follow this test case you can get a standardizable feedback from a variant environments. Real world testing is difficult to be replaced by automated scripts.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
irregexpr

Post by irregexpr »

Hello,

I'd like to help. I have a fair amount of development experience, and a Macbook. One thing I'm noticing is that there aren't any instructions for building on the mac and the MacOSCompile repo on github is empty. I see there is a mac alpha from september, but I was unable to open the Cornell box test scene with it.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

irregexpr wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:10 am I'd like to help. I have a fair amount of development experience, and a Macbook. One thing I'm noticing is that there aren't any instructions for building on the mac and the MacOSCompile repo on github is empty. I see there is a mac alpha from september, but I was unable to open the Cornell box test scene with it.
You are welcome, you should talk with Robbrown who is currently developing the MacOS port, the related thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58
robbrown
Developer
Developer

Post by robbrown »

@irregexpr I'll send you a PM with some instructions. I haven't gotten to setting up the MacOSCompile yet, that'll be building scripts and bundling once I have that completed. Currently focused on some test failures trying not to put the cart before the horse.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

We may be ready for the release of alpha0 in a couple of days :idea:
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Hi,

I am currently trying to read myself a bit thorugh the C++ code to get some better understanding of how it works, but it is difficult for me to see how the different bits and pieces connect.
While I know general C++ syntax, I have never done a project like this in this language (I worked more in python), so I lack the experience or the feeling for where to expect the connecting code.

What I am looking for is a bit of an introduction, something like "The directory /samples/luxcoreui/... contains the user interface. The function to read scene is in /xyz/abc.cpp. When you start a render, the selected render engine is connceted to the sampelr by the code in the file /src/abc/xyz.cpp, then the bvh traversal in ..." etc.

If that example doesn't help: I just want to get some help about how to dig through the code :D
This could be a could thing to have as a pinned and locked thread.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

CodeHD wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:50 pm What I am looking for is a bit of an introduction, something like "The directory /samples/luxcoreui/... contains the user interface. The function to read scene is in /xyz/abc.cpp. When you start a render, the selected render engine is connceted to the sampelr by the code in the file /src/abc/xyz.cpp, then the bvh traversal in ..." etc.
I can answer specific questions but writing a complete introduction to the code would be like writing a book, it is not a viable option.

Pick a specific topic: textures, image pipeline plugin, camera, volumes or whatever and start to try to understanding a specific aspect. Trying to understand everything from the start would be simple overwhelming.