LuxCoreRender v2.0beta3 released

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.
kintuX

Re: LuxCoreRender v2.0beta3 released

Post by kintuX »

david57 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:34 am I changed the Large Mutation Probability from 40% to 100% and works fine now.
I tried both the HDRI and then then the Sky in the world settings and both work fine.
Used Bidir for this settings.
Yeah, but that's just a bypass, taking out the the purpose & the advantage of this engine.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:38 pm I am confirming lots of crashes with BiDir. After working with any scene for a while. All fresh ones. Seems the cause are HDRIs skies, if are made for Cycles an then the LuxCore engine is used. Lots of crashes happen in such cases even while just messing with HDRI.
I'm looking into this problem.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:21 pm
kintuX wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:38 pm I am confirming lots of crashes with BiDir. After working with any scene for a while. All fresh ones. Seems the cause are HDRIs skies, if are made for Cycles an then the LuxCore engine is used. Lots of crashes happen in such cases even while just messing with HDRI.
I'm looking into this problem.
More info (hoping to help a bit):
First, I thought it was the complexity of node tree designed for Cycles, so i simplified it down to the basic one as is in the file attached. Didn't help as you can see (hopefully). Also thought then, it could be about duplicating textures/running out of vRAM, so i made HDRI smaller (packed in), but that didn't help either. Finally got tired and only stopped it from crashing by removing HDRI from World/sky in Cycles (and purged). Sadly, it's one of basic things i set at start of every scene as i must have at least some sense of scenic lighting to develop scene further... and i always start from Cycles. Cuz, if time allows i can then go elsewhere over the rainbow engine land... but if not, I run with Cycles trusting it, it will be done ;)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:47 pm More info (hoping to help a bit):
First, I thought it was the complexity of node tree designed for Cycles, so i simplified it down to the basic one as is in the file attached. Didn't help as you can see (hopefully). Also thought then, it could be about duplicating textures/running out of vRAM, so i made HDRI smaller (packed in), but that didn't help either. Finally got tired and only stopped it from crashing by removing HDRI from World/sky in Cycles (and purged). Sadly, it's one of basic things i set at start of every scene as i must have at least some sense of scenic lighting to develop scene further... and i always start from Cycles. Cuz, if time allows i can then go elsewhere over the rainbow engine land... but if not, I run with Cycles trusting it, it will be done ;)
Have you tried to remove the glossycoating material ? I'm fixing a lot of NaN/INF values coming out of that material. But I have fixed also a NaN coming out of Sky or InfiniteLight sources.

NaN/INF should not directly cause a crash but they could as a side effect. I have not yet finished to fix all of them.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:47 pm Have you tried to remove the glossycoating material ? I'm fixing a lot of NaN/INF values coming out of that material. But I have fixed also a NaN coming out of Sky or InfiniteLight sources.

NaN/INF should not directly cause a crash but they could as a side effect. I have not yet finished to fix all of them.
I had thought about it, but left GlossyCoating in on Glass as a base. Didn't consider it would stack up to producing a crash. Although, all of the time there was kinda lingering feeling of adding to errors. It was mainly just a question of number of passes dependent on the settings in the scene. But almost always roughly at the same number ~100 passes.
Thanks for the notice, will keep that in mind.
jgrover110

Post by jgrover110 »

Is the Bidir engine planned to support GPU/OpenCL?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

jgrover110 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:13 am Is the Bidir engine planned to support GPU/OpenCL?
Not in for the foreseeable future, aside for the huge amount of work required, the main problem is the lack of support for OpenCL v2.x from NVIDIA so we are still stuck with OpenCL v1.2. Having the possibility to use OpenCL C++ and OpenCL SVM (CPU/GPU shared memory) would greatly simplify the work.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Here's latest one gone corrupt (just render):
testBiDircrasher.zip
I should have fixed the problem: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=270&p=3298#p3298
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:21 pm
Here's latest one gone corrupt (just render):
testBiDircrasher.zip
I should have fixed the problem: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=270&p=3298#p3298
Confirmed, no more crashing! (Rendered 10x in a row, just to be sure.) :)

==========================================================================================================================

Played on with setting (changes) :twisted:

Path Depth (E/L): 16 (10+6)
Samples: 500 (200+300)
Clamping: 100 (15 + 85; suggested 14.3166)
Large Mutation Probability: 30% (40% - 10%)
Max Consecutive Rejects: 1024 (512 + 512)
Image Mutation Rate: 8% (10% - 2%)
Filter: Mitchell

All went fine, but in one case fireflies and blackspots showed up. ;) Anyone cares to guess?
000_MitchellFilterIssue.png
ANSWER: Mitchell Filter is the cause!

I assume, as long as everything is stable, this is not a problem, but known trade-off using this specific filter.
Just something to consider, as it might become problematic, more obvious with denoiser use. Users which aren't aware of this, then see it as a bug. I think, the information note on the issue (help/manual & plugin) will do. Observed the same ('user issue') with Cycles & Corona.