Moving from classic LuxRender

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
klayman

Moving from classic LuxRender

Post by klayman »

I just tried the LuxCoreRender and I like it! It works much better than the older experimental LuxCore. Almost all of the bugs I spotted earlier are gone. Thank you!

Now I'm considering to move my workflow to LuxCoreRender. There is one difficulty though - all of my .blend files are set up for the classic Lux, without material nodes. Is there any automated way to convert all classic materials to LuxCore nodes? I found the similar topic here, but it's about the Cycles -> LuxCore conversion. I think classic Lux -> LuxCore should be easier, as the parameters are almost the same.

Another problem is remote rendering. There is no luxcoreconsole in the pre-built binaries, right? Is LuxCore currently supposed to be used with Blender for remote rendering, or is there a stand-alone approach?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Moving from classic LuxRender

Post by Dade »

klayman wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 am Now I'm considering to move my workflow to LuxCoreRender. There is one difficulty though - all of my .blend files are set up for the classic Lux, without material nodes. Is there any automated way to convert all classic materials to LuxCore nodes? I found the similar topic here, but it's about the Cycles -> LuxCore conversion. I think classic Lux -> LuxCore should be easier, as the parameters are almost the same.
It is technically possible but it would be a lot of work (for a one time usage tool). I'm afraid we may not have the resources for such a task.
klayman wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 am Another problem is remote rendering. There is no luxcoreconsole in the pre-built binaries, right? Is LuxCore currently supposed to be used with Blender for remote rendering, or is there a stand-alone approach?
You have to download the standalone version. There is a tool there called PyLuxCoreTool. It includes the support for network rendering: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=168

This is the basic workflow of LuxCore network rendering:

1) export the scene in binary format from BlendLuxCore;

2) start PyLuxCoreTool and select "NetConsole";

3) Add the exported file to the rendering queue;

4) start any number of PyLuxCoreTool => "NetNode" on your local network;

5) the NetNodes will be auto-detected and the rendering will start.

It is in a very early stage of the development but it should be already able to perform the basic tasks.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Now I'm considering to move my workflow to LuxCoreRender. There is one difficulty though - all of my .blend files are set up for the classic Lux, without material nodes. Is there any automated way to convert all classic materials to LuxCore nodes? I found the similar topic here, but it's about the Cycles -> LuxCore conversion. I think classic Lux -> LuxCore should be easier, as the parameters are almost the same.
Can't even count the number of time i'had to adapt remake redo rebuild all my entiere massive biblio by hand. I think i'am always moving never stop since my begining.

From blender internal ===>> to yafaray ===>> Luxrender ===>> Cycles ===>> Luxrender 1.7 ===>> Luxcore 2.0 . All this without mentioning some test done on indigo. This time the dreams came true a place i feel at home. It's hard to move all things like this but nothing could be better than fine tune shader by hand. It's take time but you don't have to do it all at once. you change progessivelly. ;)

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Sharlybg wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:58 am
Can't even count the number of time i'had to adapt remake redo rebuild all my entiere massive biblio by hand. I think i'am always moving never stop since my begining.

From blender internal ===>> to yafaray ===>> Luxrender ===>> Cycles ===>> Luxrender 1.7 ===>> Luxcore 2.0 . All this without mentioning some test done on indigo. This time the dreams came true a place i feel at home. It's hard to move all things like this but nothing could be better than fine tune shader by hand. It's take time but you don't have to do it all at once. you change progessivelly. ;)

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

klayman

Post by klayman »

Thank you Dade and Sharlybg, got it. I'll create the nodes manually.
Dade wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 am This is the basic workflow of LuxCore network rendering:

I can't find the PyLuxCoreTool - is it the exact file name? And as far as I understand, this is a GUI tool - I need something for rendering on a remote server without X server installed.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

klayman wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:44 am
Dade wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 am This is the basic workflow of LuxCore network rendering:

I can't find the PyLuxCoreTool - is it the exact file name? And as far as I understand, this is a GUI tool - I need something for rendering on a remote server without X server installed.
On Windows, there is a pyluxcoretool.exe, Linux is described here https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... /README.md (PyLuxCoreTools section):

All commands have a GUI and command line version, to run a node on Linux without GUI:

sudo pip3 install PySide

only the first time than:

Code: Select all

david@i7-3930k:~/tmp/luxcorerender-v2.0beta2-linux64-opencl$ python3 pyluxcoretools.zip netnode
[MainThread][2018-04-10 13:03:54,986] LuxCore 2.0beta2
[NetBeaconSenderThread][2018-04-10 13:03:54,989] NetBeaconSender thread started.
[Thread-1][2018-04-10 13:03:54,990] Waiting for a new connection
klayman

Post by klayman »

Dade wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:05 am All commands have a GUI and command line version, to run a node on Linux without GUI:

sudo pip3 install PySide

only the first time than:

david@i7-3930k:~/tmp/luxcorerender-v2.0beta2-linux64-opencl$ python3 pyluxcoretools.zip netnode
[MainThread][2018-04-10 13:03:54,986] LuxCore 2.0beta2
[NetBeaconSenderThread][2018-04-10 13:03:54,989] NetBeaconSender thread started.
[Thread-1][2018-04-10 13:03:54,990] Waiting for a new connection
Thank you for your help. I'm still using Fedora 25 and there is a problem with installing PySide with pip (PySide was incompatible with Python3.5 for a long time). There is a python3-pyside package for Fedora 28 though, so I'll try it after updating my system.

It seems that PySide is only for the GUI version of the tools, so, perhaps, it could be possible to make it an optional dependency and run the command line version without checking for it?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

klayman wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:35 pm It seems that PySide is only for the GUI version of the tools, so, perhaps, it could be possible to make it an optional dependency and run the command line version without checking for it?
Yes, PySide is only for the GUI and you can directly run the commands. Write a netnode.py file, in the same directory of pyluxcoretools.zip, the following text:

import sys
sys.path.append("./pyluxcoretools.zip")

import pyluxcoretools.pyluxcorenetnode.cmd as cmd
cmd.main([])
Than you can run the command:

python3 netnode.py
It is just Python so you can do pretty much everything.
klayman

Post by klayman »

Dade wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:01 pm Yes, PySide is only for the GUI and you can directly run the commands. Write a netnode.py file, in the same directory of pyluxcoretools.zip, the following text:

import sys
sys.path.append("./pyluxcoretools.zip")

import pyluxcoretools.pyluxcorenetnode.cmd as cmd
cmd.main([])
Than you can run the command:

python3 netnode.py
It is just Python so you can do pretty much everything.
Thanks again! Unfortunately, I'm not good at coding. I need a wrapper for the pyluxcoreconsole.cmd as I'm trying to render on a remote machine (not within my local network). I tried to create the luxcoreconsole.py file:

import sys
sys.path.append( "./pyluxcoretools.zip" )

import pyluxcoretools.pyluxcoreconsole.cmd as cmd
cmd.main( sys.argv[ 1: ] )
but when I try

python3 luxcoreconsole.py /path/to/00001.bcf
I get the error

luxcoreconsole.py: error: the following arguments are required: fileToRender
What's the correct way to pass the arguments?