Foggy Hallway Scene

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Foggy Hallway Scene

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The "HallBench" example scene, rendered with some fog. I also changed the sun angle a bit.
(Scene enclosed in box with null material and internal homogeneous volume, same volume also set as camera volume).
For some reason the doors appear a lot more specular, which makes it obvious that their textures are not high-res enough for this resolution.

The original scene can be found here: https://luxcorerender.org/example-scenes/
Author is Sharlybg.
Attachments
hall_bench_foggy.jpg
Original
Original
Dez!

Re: Foggy Hallway Scene

Post by Dez! »

cool fog
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/
b2przemo

Post by b2przemo »

Looks very OK.
Surrounding box with internal volume is pretty straight forward but, what exactly means
same volume also set as camera volume
? :? The fog increases the sense of perceived depth in the image so for interior arch-viz it is a must for me... Want to know how to set up something similar.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:58 pm The "HallBench" example scene, rendered with some fog. I also changed the sun angle a bit.
(Scene enclosed in box with null material and internal homogeneous volume, same volume also set as camera volume).
For some reason the doors appear a lot more specular, which makes it obvious that their textures are not high-res enough for this resolution.

The original scene can be found here: https://luxcorerender.org/example-scenes/
Author is Sharlybg.
Cool picture, man.

Did you oidin the image? I have the impression the de-noisers algorithm nagged on the door‘s texture.
There are also compression artifacts disturbing fine details like the cactus‘ stings. Talking about cactus why is this guy much more transparent in you picture than in the original?
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

b2przemo wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:48 pm what exactly means
same volume also set as camera volume
It means that the volume is defined using a separate volume node tree, and this node tree is chosen in the exterior volume dropdown in the camera settings:
Capture.PNG
FarbigeWelt wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:35 pm Did you oidin the image? I have the impression the de-noisers algorithm nagged on the door‘s texture.
The image was denoised with OIDN, but it had around 8000 samples and already appeared noise-free when viewed 1:1, so the denoiser changed very little. The doors are more glossy then in the original scene, appararently caused by the fog volume, and the original normalmap texture used on the doors is insufficient when exposed in this way (it's alright in the original, because the bump is almost imperceptible there).
FarbigeWelt wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:35 pm There are also compression artifacts disturbing fine details like the cactus‘ stings.
Well, it doesn't really make sense to go pixel-counting in a compressed JPG image ;)
FarbigeWelt wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:35 pm Talking about cactus why is this guy much more transparent in you picture than in the original?
No idea, probably also has to do with the fog volume. Maybe a bug or a problem in my setup.
b2przemo

Post by b2przemo »

OK, got it. Thanks for the screenshot its very useful. 8-)
nigma46

Post by nigma46 »

Thanks for this post. I have been giving fog a go in my scene. One problem I have is that the fog disappears if the camera is located within the cube volume that contains the fog. How to stop this behaviour? I want the fog in the entire area including where the camera moves.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

You probably forgot to set the camera volume.
nigma46

Post by nigma46 »

I did see that option, but I dont understand what it is supposed to do. Im a Blender newb. I opened the volume node editor but it was unrelated to my fog cube object.

How should I set the camera "volume" option?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

In the camera properties, you choose the volume node tree that should be used as external camera volume.