Trying to get rid of fairflies, need advice.

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
zooropa

Trying to get rid of fairflies, need advice.

Post by zooropa »

Hi. I am working with a scene I already shared many times in the forum. I realize it was a bit optimistic from my side to start using lux with these types of scenes. I am already in the dance...so too late to not finish.

After feeding 100 bounces in the path depth properties...I manage to get a clear acrylic material. Unfortunately, now I am dealing with awful fairflies.
It might have to do with the light only coming from an hdr and not having enough light in the scene to light the intrincated areas.
Grid_Detail_2.png
Do you think i need an extra area light in the flor pointing the ceiling in order to give some lig,ht to the grid areas ? Is there anyway to workaround this by tweaking the render settings properties?

Thank you
Dez!

Re: Trying to get rid of fairflies, need advice.

Post by Dez! »

It turns out to be an absolutely delightful project!
The glass looks so great that you stare into it.
At the expense of fireflies - I would advise to render a small area (ctrl + b) to a noise level of 15 (or even 10). And try using a squelch. Both OIDN and BCD know how to remove them. And the BCD even has a special enable option against these fireflies.
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/
zooropa

Post by zooropa »

Dez! wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:01 am It turns out to be an absolutely delightful project!
The glass looks so great that you stare into it.
At the expense of fireflies - I would advise to render a small area (ctrl + b) to a noise level of 15 (or even 10). And try using a squelch. Both OIDN and BCD know how to remove them. And the BCD even has a special enable option against these fireflies.
Thanks so much for the feedback...I am doing a test with 3000 samples...I am probably draining all the energy of the coffe place I am.
I would love to ask a few things, not sure what is "squelch". I searched in google and non of the definitions came to the right context hahah

I am using OIDIN, you think I should switch to the other denoiser BCD?
zooropa

Post by zooropa »

Test with OIDIN 3000 samples and a lot of time to render for a small 1000x1000
gridfairflies.jpg
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

if anything, coffee can be brewed over a fire. don't worry about them :)
when I find problem areas, I draw a frame around them, and try to "squeeze out power" - the noise level. I usually rate 10 or 15 for commercial projects.

BCD has such a function, try it. I use it sometimes.
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
zooropa

Post by zooropa »

Here a test of 1000 samples with BCD and the fairflies future active. Not happy with the result...It erases a lot of the details and the fireflies are still present. If someone has another workaround I would highly appreciate it.
zooropa

Post by zooropa »

Dez! wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:39 am if anything, coffee can be brewed over a fire. don't worry about them :)
when I find problem areas, I draw a frame around them, and try to "squeeze out power" - the noise level. I usually rate 10 or 15 for commercial projects.

BCD has such a function, try it. I use it sometimes.
I am will try now with OIDIN and the advance settings you proposed! Thank you!
zooropa

Post by zooropa »

I am trying with your method...its 40 minutes and 4000 samples...my god...This is a low res render..I can not imagine how long it will take to make a still render in high res of this frame...
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

What is your clamping value ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

really!
How could I forget about it, and not advise at the very beginning?
Try to find the value here: