Renderspeed Luxcore vs Cycles Final/Viewport

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
HoppyHopp

Renderspeed Luxcore vs Cycles Final/Viewport

Post by HoppyHopp »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:04 pm Just applied the same knowledge of adaptive on the porsche scene. small improvement but Cycles is miles ahead. like we miss something in open 3D space.

same time/CPU

Lux
911Lux.jpg

Cycles
911Cycl.jpg
Are there improvments planed? I shade my models in an HDRI invironment, in Cycles it is super fast tweaking materials. In LuxCore it is so slow,
the time you save with the GI Chache ist the time you loose tweaking materials.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Luxcore vs Cycles Final/Viewport

Post by Sharlybg »

For faster viewport experience here are some tips :

1__ Work in small viewport area ( split your viewport in 4 area and use one for preview)

2__ If you have only one GPU and a correct CPU use CPU for viewport

3__ This thread can help : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2546
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
HoppyHopp

Post by HoppyHopp »

Sharlybg wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:20 am For faster viewport experience here are some tips :

1__ Work in small viewport area ( split your viewport in 4 area and use one for preview)

2__ If you have only one GPU and a correct CPU use CPU for viewport

3__ This thread can help : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2546
I mean the noise performance, like in your car example. Both same rendertime.

Cycles

Lux
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

I mean the noise performance, like in your car example. Both same rendertime.
I understand what you mean now.In my test and observation i can say that most of the cycles viewport performance come from some pretty heavy Bias introduce in the engine core Like more aggressive clamping on indirect light/uncomputed caustics path/blurred glossy threshold.
Maybe some optimisation can be add to the Luxcore viewport RT engine but only Dade can speak here.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Renderspeed Luxcore vs Cycles Final/Viewport

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I have split these posts from the topic they were originally posted in because they were off-topic.
The origional topic is about responsiveness of the user interface while editing the scene during viewport render, not about rendering performance and the speed at which noise disappears.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

As shown in histograms below LuxCoreRender LCR renders images with extended dynamic. The difference is not very large, how ever it is good visible in the dark parts of the image. I guess this is an advantage for LCR when comparing versus Cycles.
Histogram_LCR shows little more dynamic
Histogram_LCR shows little more dynamic
Noise can be limited by enabling de-noising in BlendLuxCore's settings for final and preview renders. -For final renders a de-noise node can be added between in- and output nodes. There is actually not any reason complaining about noisy LuxCoreRender renders since Intel's open source de-noiser was implemented in add-on BlendLuxCore-LuxCoreRender and final in Blender.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
juangea
Donor
Donor

Re: Renderspeed Luxcore vs Cycles Final/Viewport

Post by juangea »

However, right now the best way of recovering detail after denoising is not possible in LuxCore, so the noise speed is still a concern, the denoiser give splotches and flickering in animation if the amount of noise is high.
The viewport denoiser may halo also working with Albedos, but if you work with specular or roughness, the denoiser destroys the result and it´s impossible to work with it, so we have to work without viewport denoiser :)

The denoiser is good, but it´s not the final solution at all :)