F-104G

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
Clockmaster77

F-104G

Post by Clockmaster77 »

Hi! I am new to Luxcore.
I am doing 3D graphics for more than 20 years with Lightwave 3D and recently also with Blender Cycles, and now I have done this work with Luxcore Blender, in Blender 2.90, with a simple GTX1070 GPU render, about 1 hour rendering time and OIDN denoiser. Very Slightly retouches in PSP for some glitches. The F-104 is all modeled by myself in Lightwave Modeler 10.1, and every panel on plane is actual 3d geometry.
Hope You all like it.
Bye
Attachments
F-104_RENDERING_M_SMALL FOR LUXCORE FORUM.jpg
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: F-104G

Post by Sharlybg »

Welcome to the Lux community. And great 3D model btw.
Did you have volumetric geometry in this render ?
I mean the orange clouds. Look like the plane is outside of the volume.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Clockmaster77

Post by Clockmaster77 »

Thanks for the kind reply.
For the volumes, there are only heterogeneous materials nodes applied to the mesh of the clouds and to the mesh of the smoke. I still have problems setting smoke domains in Luxcore, su I am for now only using the volume material nodes. The plane is actually outside the cloud mesh, since I am not sure how to set the volume opacity correctly.
Wonder if there is some discussion here on the Luxcore forums where I can learn how to set a proper smoke or smoke/fire domain and how to render it correctly?
Bye!
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Recent discussion about that here :
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2535
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Clockmaster77 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:45 am Hi! I am new to Luxcore.
I am doing 3D graphics for more than 20 years with Lightwave 3D and recently also with Blender Cycles, and now I have done this work with Luxcore Blender, in Blender 2.90...
Hope You all like it.
Bye
Welcome Clockmaster77
I did not know that Lightwave 3D still is used. According to its homepage there is even a 2020 version with new features. Must be about 30 years ago I heard about Lightwave for 3D and GFX the first time. Those very past days this software must have been great avant-garde, guessing based on its reputation then.

Nice supersonic flight object (SS.FO) by the way. At first glimpse I thought its a picture of kind of stylish Japanese pencil from the 1980's.
What I do not like is the wiped fog/cloud behind the cool vintage streamline jet. Please, check technical drawings with isobars of supersonic fast moving objects, e.g. ultra short flash photos of riffle projectiles or laser scan photos of turbulent fog stream lines around objects in wind channel with air speed around Mach 1.

I guess your super fast looking jet is not crossing Bikini Atolls dragging unnoticed Sponge Bob air-waking on a sonoluminescence driven hover-board clearing up air with a bright smile on its face singing, "Surf behind the U.S.SS...", wearing chrome mirroring sun glasses. :mrgreen:
What do these black areas mean?
What do these black areas mean?
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
Clockmaster77

Post by Clockmaster77 »

Thanks for the reply! I know the japanese pics You are talking about, and this is a nice compliment indeed :) .

Yes, Lightwave 3D is still very used today in the US for TV and Movie productions and in Japan. I am Italian, and I've got a passion for this software, especially for the modeling suite, with a unique ability to build things from scratch, like single vertices and polygons, and with a very fast workflow, once apprehended. I am using an old version, 10.1. The 10.1 Modeler is still excellent so I do not actually need to upgrade, since for rendering I am using Blender Cycles and Luxcore.

The black areas in the plane are caused by actual geometry: the air intakes of supersonic jets are often separated from the fuselage due to supersonic aerodinamics reasons, so was in the old F-104. The occlusion effect did the rest, rendering in black the areas between fuselage and intakes.

Bye!
Clockmaster77

Post by Clockmaster77 »

An experiment with the F-104 immersed in the clouds, and with a different lighting setup. Please don't mind the trail glitches, the mesh defining volumetric volume shape has some kown problems (crossing polygons, it is another experiment with more transparent layers of concentric trails).

Bye
Attachments
F-104_NEW2_DENOISED.jpg
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Clockmaster77 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:48 pm An experiment with the F-104 immersed in the clouds, and with a different lighting setup. Please don't mind the trail glitches, the mesh defining volumetric volume shape has some kown problems (crossing polygons, it is another experiment with more transparent layers of concentric trails).

Bye
Your first pictures expressions „Atomic Punk“, something I strangely like (probably because I read too many Science Fiction stories from those ugly cold war times. Not to mention there are the next frozen years ahead...).
Please, have a look at these NASA pictures here
supersonic shockwave interaction.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
Clockmaster77

Post by Clockmaster77 »

I have seen the Shockwave photos.
Yesterday while I was playing with true volumetrics for the scene, casually I activated bloom camera effect and hit the left view key: there I saw colors and contrasts similar to the ones of these photos. I think I can replicate the effect creating some specific mesh and associating to it transparent or glossy materials and inner volumes. If I will obtain a good enough picture I will post it here.
Goodbye 😃
Clockmaster77

SHOCKWAVES!!! - Re: F-104G

Post by Clockmaster77 »

Here what I have achieved with concentric discs in the shape of the shockwaves, and a simply Disney material with a band/color ramp connected in "wrong" inputs, but that worked fine for the final result.
The final image (256 samples) was despeckled with a photo editor.
Attached a screenshot of the simple node setup for the shockwaves.

Comments are very welcome.
Bye
Attachments
F-104 SHOCKWAVES_DENOISED_DESPECKLED.jpg
shockwaves node setup.jpg