Koerfer House

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
johannes.wilde

Koerfer House

Post by johannes.wilde »

Hey there!
I started modeling the iconic "Koerfer House" by Marcel Breuer after some fragments of original floor- and site plans. As well i found some quite good photos for reference and inspiration.
Most of the process so far i documented on twitter using Blender 2.9x and E-Cycles Renderer.
But today i decided while modeling the living room, that i want to convert the scene to LuxCoreRender as well.
Here is my first work in progress shot of the main living room.
(RTX2080ti, Sobol, Env. Cache (0.4), Indir. Cache (defaults), 6min render time, denoising mix 0.8)

I enjoy, how fast scene export hast become in the latest daily build!
As well, the true displacement works flawless, but i just use it without the simplify node, because...you know, that takes quite a while to start the render then.
Is there any plans for adaptive tesselation in the future?

Anyway: Thanks for that rapid development of LuxCore!

I will keep on posting some pictures of the process here.

Cheers,
Johannes
Attachments
Koerfer House - Living Room
Koerfer House - Living Room
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Koerfer House

Post by Dade »

johannes.wilde wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:46 pm I enjoy, how fast scene export hast become in the latest daily build!
As well, the true displacement works flawless, but i just use it without the simplify node, because...you know, that takes quite a while to start the render then.
Is there any plans for adaptive tesselation in the future?
In my tests, if you have an RTX GPU and with the latest LuxCore Optix/RTX support, rendering 5 millions of triangles or 50 requires about the same amount of time. Memory usage aside, geometry complexity is becoming, very fast, irrelevant.

This can somewhat explained with the LuxCore architecture where ray/triangles intersection is done by a dedicate GPU kernel and, with Optix/RTX, it is replaced by a single call to an Optix function.

Short version: the current shift in hardware/software scenario may render adaptive subdivision not worth the effort.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
johannes.wilde

Post by johannes.wilde »

Short version: the current shift in hardware/software scenario may render adaptive subdivision not worth the effort.
Thanks for the insight.
I actually was afraid of running out of memory, when i tesselate a large surface. I will try how much this will cost in terms of memory usage...
johannes.wilde

Post by johannes.wilde »

Progress 'Koerfer House"
After some weeks off i found some time to continue this project.
Just 5min rendertime for a test shot - the scene is still in heavy development.
300SEC / INDIR & ENV.LIGHT CACHE / SOBOL /RTX2080TI / LUXCORE 2.5
300SEC / INDIR & ENV.LIGHT CACHE / SOBOL /RTX2080TI / LUXCORE 2.5